Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
97,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, our youngest nephew, who joined the TExas National Guard earlier this year and just completed his training as a Light Vehicle Mechanic recently has gotten orders he was expecting - but not quite this soon.

His unit has been ordered to active Federal Service as of 8 November, initial station Camp Bowie, Texas and then to Fort Bragg. Supposed to be going to Afghanistan in February. Michael knew that his unit was likely to go at the time he enlisted, in fact they ahd been told to expect reconfiguration to Mech Infantry next year and a trip to either Iraq or Afghanistan a soon as that was completed. Happening earlier, and am not sure about restructure. Will get some information about that (probably) end of this month.

I can't say I'm happy, since I like the boy and have concerns about what can happen, but he's a grown up entitled to make his decisions as I was when I decided to put on a green suit while a war was happening, so I'll wish him "good hunting" and pray he comes home as safe as I did, and with no more shooting than I had to do long ago in Vietnam (not much, and that was still plenty).

So - keep Michael Martin, Texas Army National Guard in your thoughts and prayers.

Clyde

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
97,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
May God watch over him and his comrades and return them safely to these shores.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts