Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AS i have quickly discovered there is about a 100+ variations of it and whatnot. Ive always been big into military surplus but have always had a soft spot for the AK 47. Other surplus is pretty straight forward with who had what and when but so many variations of the AK 47 im lost.

Id like one as close to the military (if not ex military) as possible. Obviously if it has the bayonet lug (would love a bayonet for one) its a pretty good chance correct? I'm not picky on what country its from (Russia, Yugoslavia, Romania, etc).

I have read/noticed classic firearms has a bunch of package deals.

If i find one locally what should i look for that will make/break a sale? I have a yugo SKS i bought still gooped in cosmoline from a big box store years ago and love that and know to check the gas system for rust and whatnot.

What is the standard military caliber for an AK47? I already have a buncha 7.62X39 for the sks and would rather not pick up another caliber if i can help it.

Whats the difference between the AK 47 and the AK74?

Sorry for the abundance of questions but i know nothing of these guns...

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,962 Posts
Generally without getting too technical most would say a AK47 comes in 762x39 and is usually a milled receiver, the AKM is the updated version of the AK47 with a stamped receiver and the AK74 is a stamped receiver weapon in 5.45x30 caliber. There is a whole host of other features that also further define these weapons but I'll let others fight over that ;)

Really it comes down to price and how close you really want to get. I had a Gordon tech AK47 that was a nice clone and close enough for me without breaking the bank. You might do some research on those and see if you can find something similar at a price you are happy with.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Better just do research , hang out participate and read up on a few different ak boards . Look over what's available and go from there . Internets full of opinions but the best opinion is that you form yourself .
dont buy B West , maybe others can help out on what you should definitely stay away from

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea any knowledge helps like what to stay away from etc.

Like i said id like to stick with 7.62X39 for practicality purposes. (plus can find it cheap still)

Whats the opinion of Waffen Werks?

Which is better for reliability with surplus 7.62X39 ammo: milled or Stamped? So milled is more authentic to the original military config?

Price wise im looking to spend $800 or less. Extra mags, sling, bayonet are a good plus to me.

Ill research the best i can.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,662 Posts
most of those available are AKMs and there's nothing wrong with that, there are a lot of good choices in the 6-800 range. One of the closest ones to a true soviet one would be a Maadi built in Egypt on soviet machinery.

·
Registered
17,732 Posts
most of those available are AKMs and there's nothing wrong with that, there are a lot of good choices in the 6-800 range. One of the closest ones to a true soviet one would be a Maadi built in Egypt on soviet machinery.
True, but the ones available now on the market are kit builds. So the receivers and barrels would be US sourced.

The closest one can get to AK 47 off the top of my head is the milled Arsenal Bulgarian. Receiver is milled bulgarian as is the barrel. AKM would be an izhmash stamped Russian receiver w/ Russian barrel.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Milled or stamped both work and wear the same . As far as milsurp ammo , there's very little out there . The Russian, Romanian ammo seen most often is made for USA consumption . Even that wich is found I'm spam cans . Last true milsurp ammo was corrosive yugo ammo wich is no longer available through regular sources .

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Yugo pap series is a good choice . They lack the grenade launcher sights and gas system but you probably won't be needing that. Saiga conversions .arsenal Bulgaria and polish archer will take you over budget . With the yugo you will be able to find a nice package deal or purchase the accoutrements

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you want to get as close as you can to an original (1950s Soviet) AK try and snag a Polytech Legend. It'll cost you some dough but from the fit/finish, stocks, milled receiver its about as close as you can get as opposed to having one custom built with US parts (which would be nearly as pricey if not more-so to find the "correct" parts).

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,581 Posts
I had SAR1- 2 three Norinco Mak 90 Sporter (milled receiver) is perhaps the closest to military spec AK every imported into the US. in fact they're so military spec that Congress banned all Chinese gun & ammo imports in 1996. Basically a Chinese Type 56 assault rifle without a full auto selector stop and a semiauto sear. that's it. everything else is fully military spec, military parts.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The Chinese weapon sales were halted because China needed a wrist tap for selling their silk worm missles to places that ment us harm ! LOL . Had zero to do with either the quality or the military closeness of the rifles .

·
Registered
13,903 Posts
If you want to get as close as you can to an original (1950s Soviet) AK try and snag a Polytech Legend..
Agreed, but don't rule out an Egyptian Maadi, or (like the one I have) one of the pre-ban Chinese rifles with the underfolding bayonet (Can't recall who was selling them over there).

You are going to find the milled receiver guns are going to be SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than those with a stamped receiver. Other than that, there is no practical difference.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Just to echo a point: Most of the assault rifles you see in use around the world that are referred to as "AK-47s" are actually AKMs. Once the stamped receiver was perfected, everybody pretty much went with that. And production in Combloc countries really went into high gear.

So first ask yourself if you really want an AK-47 or an AKM.

http://www.world.guns.ru/assault/rus/ak-akm-e.html

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Agree both are cool . I'm down to one milled because they netted me more cash for my othe projects and loves . The stamped suited me well for my get up and go rifles . For those gtf put town rifles I prefer the 74's and 5.65's

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im used to heavy guns with high cap mags so weight doesn't bother me much. ill have to research and really sit down and absorb what you guys have said. Always appreciate that!

Whatever it is its going to have wood furniture.

An AKM wouldnt be bad at all either.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.