Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've heard that saying many times and more so recently because of concerns on the future availability of amunition.
There is a range just 15 minutes away from a vacation condo the wife and I own and instead of bringing a lot of ammo there I decided to built a small loading bench that could either be tansported back and forth or left there.
I didn't want to spend a lot of money so I bought a 2X12 board and my buddy cut it up and it provided all the pieces needed. Front support legs were added to keep the bench from tipping when applying downward pressure on the presses.
The bench can be stored in the closet and can be taken apart,(unscrewed) for easier transport if necessary. I intend to keep it at the condo so I bought a used Lee press and powder measure for $42.00 total and a small clamp on vise for only $22.00 from Home Depot. I brought my Lyman sizer from home but using the Lee bullt sizers would allow more room on the bench.

It's not anything to write home about but serves the purpose and cost just the price of the board and some screws.
It would be a cheap solution for folks who would like to begin reloading but live in a home/apartment with no space for a reloading bench. Ray

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
not bad.

my reloading bench is on a 3'X6' or so foldup picknic table in my basement. if i were more organized or had shelfs, i could get by with a smaller table.

the most elaborate reloading setup ive ever seen, was inside a closet.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's true, you actually don't need a bench but it is nice to sit at the couch with the bench in front of you and have the convience of using a press and other equipment to reload at your finger tips. Of course there's no storage problem with the hand tools which is a big plus, Ray

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Who needs a bench? I use a Lee handpress and sit on the couch. Slow, and unwieldy, but it works.
Same here, I could probably afford any press I want, but who wants to go sit in the garage and reload? I use 2 Lee hand presses, 2 Lee hand priming tools, and a Lee powder dispenser mounted on an old wooden wine box. I can crank out 200-300 223 or 308 rounds in a couple of hours, I even reload 338 and 340 Weatherby on mine!

·
Gold Bullet member
4,821 Posts
I made it just under 2 feet high so it would store easier but will have too sit in a chair when using it. Ray

Looks like a good solution to an otherwise inconvenient arrangement. I generally don't like going on vacations because that means I can't go shooting. You've found a good compromise...:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.