Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally picked up an original german helmet and it appears to be a pretty good one M35 with double decal, complete original liner/chinstrap (vogels koln 1940) shell marked NS 64 on side marked at rear D ??? cant make out - paint filled in..decal is gold eagle which i have read is kreigsmarine..paint is green and at least 96%..liner is near mint with ink stamp 57 ..i know is hard without pics , i could never figure how to post...whats a ballpark value ? thx...

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
vogels koln 1940 is a common reproduction chin strap.
X2, and there is virtually no wear to the makers mark.

Also I am a little worried about the leather liner.............if you look real careful at the photo provided...............it almost looks like somebody used a bush and brushed something onto the leather to make it look old...............look at the forehead portion of the liner.............notice anything that looks like brush strokes there??...........I see something that looks like that.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
liner and chinstrap definite reproductions, paint and decals look a little odd to me also, I'd say an older repaint and artificially aged liner and chinstrap, still nicely done, but only worth 250 or so.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
something was definetly brushed on liner...is there any real way to tell the diff between if its orig or repo ? would any one here be willing to let me send this to them and give a look at it ? my pics realy are not the greatest..pm me if you would be interested...thx..

I also read where some heer decals would tone to a gold color over time..anyone ever hear or see such an example, this one appears to be a heer decal from what i can find of close-ups of kreigs and heer decals...thanks for the input..

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
something was definetly brushed on liner...is there any real way to tell the diff between if its orig or repo?

if something was brushed onto the liner as I presumed it to be, then leather liner is fake, no reason to do that on something that is legit. They did this to make it look like SWEAT wear, that is how leather liner's get so dark brown is from salty head sweat. Not sure what the person used to age it with, but it looks like they slopped on to the dome of the shell as well. The leather liner's size adjustment string doesn't look good either.

If the chinstrap and liner are reproductions, then there is a very good chance that paint and decals are not original either.

I'm guessing the helmet was restored by somebody who then passed it off as original. It's really sad that ignorant people do crap like this.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
there is a problem if you feel the decal above the paint, like it you run your fingernail across the paint to border of decal, do you feel where seam of decal starts, usually a real decal snugs in and becomes like part of the paint when factor applied as these should have been-a real decal should be smooth and
not ride on surface, if so probably a fake water transfer decal

·
Read Only
0 Posts
there is a problem if you feel the decal above the paint, like it you run your fingernail across the paint to border of decal, do you feel where seam of decal starts, usually a real decal snugs in and becomes like part of the paint when factor applied as these should have been-a real decal should be smooth and
not ride on surface, if so probably a fake water transfer decal
this is what I was getting at. but how is this done wasn't the decal like baked on ?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
decals at the factory were put on while paint was wet and thereby sucked into the paint finish, those field applied were usually lacquered, not always however

·
Read Only
0 Posts
decals at the factory were put on while paint was wet and thereby sucked into the paint finish, those field applied were usually lacquered, not always however
thank you always was curious as to how they were applied . i thought baked because I used work for a cabinet company and after all of the product was applied to a door or what ever peace of the cabinet it would go on a huge hanging conveyer into a oven the temperature was about 150 and it would dry the varnish and wood sealer. thought possibly that the helmets at the factory went through a similar process.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Only thing that is Original is the Helmet
Everything else has been redone,Replacement Helmet Liner,The German Adler Eagle (The Helmet Decals are reproductions) Chin strap is a reproduction,
Obvious Paint brush strokes on the Liner is a Dead give away that the helmet has been reworked.

The History of The Manufacturing Of German Military Helmets Can be Researched at the Library of Congress
Under German Metal Manufacturing ,Thale Germany. Metal Manufacturing District and other Metal Manufacturing areas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.