Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Get what you pay for

You get what you pay for , especially in a Flinter, is that too hard for anyone to understand here ?

Alden, your gun is normally $1,000 , so your point is MUTE !

An RIA is a pile, and you obviously have never shot a good gun , especially a 1911 thats good . Try a Springfiled Armory in the price range I spoke of . Then get back to me .

Guttbucket

· Registered
139 Posts
I have a custom built flint rifle, as well as a couple custom smoothbores, and several off the shelf flint and percussions. One of which is a flint Lyman Trade rifle. The Lyman is a great little rifle. It is not historically correct, and a little clunky compared to the customs, but it gets the job done. It is one of the most accurate shooters I have and my favorite hunting rifle. If you want to get into flintlocks on a budget, the Lymans are a good start.

· Banned
3,638 Posts
Gutt..., who apparently worked on Wall St. for a very short time recently because he thought they said "buy high -- sell low," has said... the more you pay the better it is. Few of us would pay Mercedes prices for a VW, think it was a brilliant move, no less brag about it! Some of us are sharp and have been fortunate to buy top quality arms at a good price -- this confuses some less focused and/or fortunate. Those who can discern useful quality, especially for the money when and where it is important (I don't need a Mercedes when my Audi A6 Quattro Turbo or even that VW will do), well, we've given some rational guidance grasshopper! Now, walk the earth and find the best fit for the money and pay the LEAST you can for it. Again, not the most nor necesarilly every penny you can.

In any case, check out this great thread with lots'o succesful, including new, BP hunters...

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=73053

Note: "TVM" is Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading

Alden

· Registered
62 Posts
You get what you pay for

Alden, you get what you pay for , that's my point , which obviously went over your head .
Just because you bought your Colt cheap doesn't mean its not a $1.000 gun .
I did work on Wall Street actually Alden , selling brains and intelegence , but you obviously did not show up that day .

Back to the original topic, buy a good Flinter, not a cheap flinter and you won't be sorry .

Later , Guttbucket

· Registered
16 Posts
Try a CVA with a L&R lock.

I started out with a Pedersoli Pennsylvania rifle. I worked good for it seems
maybe 100 shots and then I had way too many misfires. To make a long story short, I finally ended up shooting my first blackpowder gun, a cheap
CVA kit Kentucky. Originally percussion I bought a L&R replacement Maslin
lock and managed to fit it to my CVA Kentucky. Well I did have to make a
ventliner which I got lucky with. Anyways my CVA Kentucky (with L&R) has
been real good to me, I should say that L&R lock has been good to me. Even
had to replace the frizzen because it broke when my podnuh dropped it. It
was already cracked though and it had seen I mean several hundred cycles.
Maybe more. A replacement was easy to come by as them fellas at L&R
were easy to deal with. Did have to leave a message when i called but they
called back a few days later. And I believe it cost 38.0$ shipping included. I
know seems like alot but it's good to have a good lock made here in the U.S.!

· Diamond Member
1,164 Posts
How about my Lyman Great Plains .54?

Posted above, but here's some close up's for you.

· Registered
1,617 Posts
Nice rifle Eastbank, what does one of those cost?
I'm out the door to Track of The Wolf in a few minutes, they have plenty of kits!

· Banned
5,142 Posts
i don,t know today,i,m not sure you can even get them. my rifle was a dixie kit serial number 11 built by ken ishler. he knew i was left handed and offered it to me at a very good price, it was built to look old as i didn,t want a new looking shiny rifle, i have had it stacked with original flintlocks and it fit right in. i did have a brass flash hole liner put in when it was built,now it,s worn and i will replace it with a SS liner this summer. i shoot 45grs fff for target and 80 fff with a round ball with black engish flint for hunting. it shoots very well. eastbank.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.