Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
3,638 Posts
And my 1911 Combat Target was probably a little more than $300 new direct from Colt. But I have been "connected" because of my involvement in the safe shooting sports...

Even relatively inexpensive custom guns are prohibitively pricey, I feel, as an entry arm. As you'll see on TOTW. And there can be a long lead time for a gun made just for you. I have waited YEARS for some -- still am. Matt at Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders makes a very fairly priced semi-custom arm and probably has some ready-made using those quality Siller or Chambers locks. In any case, for off-the-shelf longarms Pedersoli is arguably the premier brand (I own many and they've even customized a gun for me), and I've admired and heard high praise of the Lyman Great Plains (less so Traditions'), but if you're really gonna USE your gun for sport-shooting including hunting I swear by my beautiful, double set-trigger, Thompson-Center Hawken and I think the .50 is a perfect all-around calibre insofar as usefullness, inherent accuracy and hitting power.

Alden

· Banned
3,638 Posts
Gutt..., who apparently worked on Wall St. for a very short time recently because he thought they said "buy high -- sell low," has said... the more you pay the better it is. Few of us would pay Mercedes prices for a VW, think it was a brilliant move, no less brag about it! Some of us are sharp and have been fortunate to buy top quality arms at a good price -- this confuses some less focused and/or fortunate. Those who can discern useful quality, especially for the money when and where it is important (I don't need a Mercedes when my Audi A6 Quattro Turbo or even that VW will do), well, we've given some rational guidance grasshopper! Now, walk the earth and find the best fit for the money and pay the LEAST you can for it. Again, not the most nor necesarilly every penny you can.

In any case, check out this great thread with lots'o succesful, including new, BP hunters...

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=73053

Note: "TVM" is Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading

Alden

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.