Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to the world of flintlocks, however I do know this, I must have one.
I'd like to use it for hunting, but would also like something close to the time period. I wouldn't mind anything in .50cal and up. Do you guys have any suggestions?

·
Registered
884 Posts

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Really depends on what you want to do with it. Re-enact-then you really should get
either a repro-Brown Bess or Charleville-to do a Continental/Militia or Crown Forces impression, or a Pennsylvania/Kentucky style rifle. Those will take you from the Revolution up to the Mexican War. Mountain Man?-a Hawken style rifle. Do you want to be 100% historically correct or just "close enough"?
I would also recommend reading up on black powder and flintlocks before you buy, more to learn how they really work and the pitfalls you may encounter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It depends on what you really want and can afford. There are several factory made flintlocks available in traditional longrifle style, hawken style, and military style.

INHO, if you can afford it a custom made rifle can be purchased in any style you prefer.

A good place to start would be at "track of the wolf" website, because they have both facrory and custom made fifles for sale.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for all of your input. I will be checking out Track of the Wolf. As far as my experience goes, I have shot a few and have now decided to take my first leap into it. I have been reading as much as possible on the subject, as of late, and was just wondering how you guys felt on the matter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have been shooting and hunting with a custom 58 cal long stock Hawken flinter for 18 years. You will love it. Learn its limitations and make sure the lock is good. Mine is an L&R. Use only blackpowder, ffg or fffg for the main charge and fffg or ffffg for the prime. I have used ffg for priming when I have forgotten my primer flask, and it worked fine.
A Lyman Great Plains Rifle would be a good one to start with. I love the one I picked up cheap in 50 cal.:)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I picked up a used TC Hawken that was displayed on Track's site until recently. I've prepped powder charges and have maxibullets and round lead to shoot today, so I can hunt tomorrow. I'm using 75 and 80 grn charges of GOEX FFg Express and FFFg for priming powder. Which ever combo prints best at 100 yards is what I'll use.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Flintlocks are a kick in the pants..
to paraphrase others ..."a good lock is essential"
true BLACK POWDER works best..
use only top quality flints...IE..black English flints.
HUNTING ???
A Hawken style ....
I have heard nuthin' but goood about the LYMAN stuff..
And they do "point" wonderfully.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I was looking for a "affordable" flintlock and found Midway was selling the Lyman .50Cal flintlock Tradegun for $300 on sale.I got a bonus at work so I was like why not? So I bought it.

I do not have any experince with flintlocks, but have read a few good reviews on the Lyman tradegun flintlock.

I picked it up for hunting thats about it, I just have to install the barrel.

Good luck!

-B

G

·
The locks on the Traditions guns are crap IMO. If you do go with one you might consider changing out the lock or you'll be hard pressed to make it fire consistently out of the box.

3,367 Posts
I've said this before here on the Board.....

The heart and soul of a flintlock piece is the LOCK! Without a properly tuned lock you will have nothing but trouble, and while I've never owned a production flintlock, I've yet to see one with a lock that was acceptable without working on it. Pedersolli comes the closest, and from what I've seen this brand is usually pretty good, though even here the lock occasionally could stand a little minor "tweeking". It's a shame, too, because someone like Wicked Ajax who wants to get started with flintlocks will usually give up after experiencing a poorly designed and functioning lock. Something custom built with a Chambers or Siler lock, like those usually offered by TOTW, will always be superior to the cheaper production models IMO.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well said !

Well Said Woodsrunner 38 , indeed .

Hard to be dis-satisfied buying the best . But it is easilly dissapointing in buying mediocre grade anything . Especailly Flinters .

Cheers , Guttbucket

PS.....It is near impossible nowadays to buy a gun off the rack that doesn't need tweeking anyway . And that goes for any gun type . Unless you are willing to pay bucks for high quality workmanship and componants used , you will be unsatisfied and probably not even want to shoot what you bought after you shoot it .
A good 1911 is $1,000 or way more, not $400 , ever . That goes with Flinters too , they aint worth a crap unless you spend some money .

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
A good 1911 is $1,000 or way more, not $400 , ever .
My RIA 1911 cost around $300. I've put hundreds of rounds through it without so much as a hiccup.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
And my 1911 Combat Target was probably a little more than $300 new direct from Colt. But I have been "connected" because of my involvement in the safe shooting sports...

Even relatively inexpensive custom guns are prohibitively pricey, I feel, as an entry arm. As you'll see on TOTW. And there can be a long lead time for a gun made just for you. I have waited YEARS for some -- still am. Matt at Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders makes a very fairly priced semi-custom arm and probably has some ready-made using those quality Siller or Chambers locks. In any case, for off-the-shelf longarms Pedersoli is arguably the premier brand (I own many and they've even customized a gun for me), and I've admired and heard high praise of the Lyman Great Plains (less so Traditions'), but if you're really gonna USE your gun for sport-shooting including hunting I swear by my beautiful, double set-trigger, Thompson-Center Hawken and I think the .50 is a perfect all-around calibre insofar as usefullness, inherent accuracy and hitting power.

Alden

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.