Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a M1938 TS Carbine that is 7.9MM with swastika on the bolt and stock. It is import marked and the finish is like a gloss black paint. I would like to know the story on this type of Carcano. Thanx

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I think a lot of us would like to know the story on this "type" of Carcano. I would defer to those members who are more into German markings (poot?), but my first reaction is that the swastika (do you mean an eagle waffenamt?) on the bolt as well as on the stock smells a bit of a fake, and a finish like gloss black paint would indicate, at least to me, that it is even more suspect. I'd bet that the Germans didn't put any black paint on weapons they seized from the Italians... Ralph

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,908 Posts
Unfortunately, if you were looking for a German-converted Carcano, your signature line says it all in this case. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't those that like this variant.

As described, it sounds like you have one of the rifles converted post-war to take advantage of the massive amounts of 7.92x57mm ammo on the market at the time. There is probably a '7.9' marking in the metal near your rear sight, right? The import marking is a give-away that it is not a capture rifle, and as Ariano Kid said, the swastikas on the bolt and stock smell fake. The only German markings that should appear on Carcano stocks are depot or HZa stamps, which were alpha-numeric codes surmounted by a German eagle to reflect inspection at a German weapons facility. Beyond that, you're getting into the Krieghoff conversion rifles and their (sometimes) German serialled stocks, but that's a whole different animal...The Germans never bothered to mark Carcano bolts with swastikas, either.

Your rifle probably has two cross-bolts, one at the receiver and the other in the wrist of the stock. That's another one of the signs of the post-war 8mm conversions. If you like the rifle, keep it and enjoy it for what it is.
Pat

·
8,908 Posts
FYI, here's a German HZa depot stamp on a M91/38 Cavalry Carbine:

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, if you were looking for a German-converted Carcano, your signature line says it all in this case. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't those that like this variant.

As described, it sounds like you have one of the rifles converted post-war to take advantage of the massive amounts of 7.92x57mm ammo on the market at the time. There is probably a '7.9' marking in the metal near your rear sight, right? The import marking is a give-away that it is not a capture rifle, and as Ariano Kid said, the swastikas on the bolt and stock smell fake. The only German markings that should appear on Carcano stocks are depot or HZa stamps, which were alpha-numeric codes surmounted by a German eagle to reflect inspection at a German weapons facility. Beyond that, you're getting into the Krieghoff conversion rifles and their (sometimes) German serialled stocks, but that's a whole different animal...The Germans never bothered to mark Carcano bolts with swastikas, either.

Your rifle probably has two cross-bolts, one at the receiver and the other in the wrist of the stock. That's another one of the signs of the post-war 8mm conversions. If you like the rifle, keep it and enjoy it for what it is.
Pat
7.9 Marking at rear sight=YES! Two Cross-bolts=YES! No Alpha/Numeric below the Eagle= YES! (there are none)
...The acquisition story is too long and still gives me a headache. :(
BTW Thanx to all responders.

·
8,908 Posts
It doesn't mean they can't be enjoyed, just that they aren't what many (most?) sellers claim them to be. If you were looking for a bona-fide, German marked or modified example, that wouldn't be it. The majority of the German marked Carcanos retain the original chambering, and are simply depot marked, if even that. The true conversions are flat-out rare, and highly sought after.

Pat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts