Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
The rifle is an NRA Sporter and says so on SRS. The rifle looks to be in fine shape, although it has been drilled and tapped for a scope. The $4500 price tag is a little excessive IMHO but not totally out in right field. The seller got confused and called the rear sight a "scope"! :)

I'd also disagree that these are "very rare and hard to find" but would agree you don't see them in the gun dept. at Wally World, either.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for me (then again I could be wrong) but anytime something has been altered in that fashion (being drilled and tapped) the value drops almost to nothing. I haven't seen one (unaltered) go for more than 4000k.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
agree with Rick, genuine NRA sporter in fine shape. common to have them drilled, matter fact you could order it drilled from SA, however, this was not done by Springfield, holes are in the wrong place,
price is a little high, but not by much..a closer value would be 2500 to 3,000.00
i had a new un fired since sold, NRA sporter that was special ordered with high polished blue and select wood, still with the box, that i sold for 6 grand more then 10 years ago. with paper work, showing the rifle was sent back to SA for the work, and stock upgrade.. owned by the late Clark Campbell

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Values are all over the map, but rarely less than $2500 for a very nice one. I have an NRA Sporter that was modified by Griffen and Howe during the 1930s. I don't have a specific value, but if I did, it would probably be at least in Chuck's estimate.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never outright dismiss them because their drilled but I'm highly critical. I remember John Beard telling me of his 1903 he thought was drilled for a sporter scope but found out it was actually a former USMC sniper where the scope was removed. Another nice surprise. Although I have not had such luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts