Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard from several sources that the No. 5 jungle carbines have a wandering zero. However I have also heard that this was a false claim made by soldiers that did not want to be armed with a bolt action rifle. So does the No. 5 have the wandering zero problem or not?? Come to think of it I have also heard that the term "jungle" carbine is incorrect. This has been driving me nuts and I'd like to get my facts straight, thanks everybody.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Few or no modern owners have detected a "wandering zero". Some rifle are affected by (a) poor non-concentric fitting of the flashider (b) having the barrel touch the inside of the forend 9the barrel is supposed to be entirely free-floating, unlike any other .303 Enfield).

"Jungle Carbine" has never been an official term for the No5, but it was common military slang from the earliest days of the rifle.

·
Registered
497 Posts
cattle4, I've heated up a No.5 considerably and then shot it first thing the next day to try and cover the two wandering zero possibilities. Nothing changed when hot and it shot the second day like the first.

IMHO, in the most extreme conditions there likely was a problem as the MoD performed many tests in which seemingly everything tried would correct the issue. The problem area may be the action-body's design. Possibly commercial ammo, which doesn't have as fast a flame front as cordite (I'm told) helps. Others have tested with mil-surp ammo and still had no problems, however. Another opinion is that the furniture is now fully aged.

Nobody else, try as they might, have been able to duplicate the wandering zero in modern times. While it may not be a myth, it's become a moot point.

Regards, Brad

PS The term 'Jungle Carbine' may've been used by a small circle of soldiers, but likely became more commonly known from Golden State Arms' advertising.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,017 Posts
Well, until 2 days ago, I didn't even think about it...2 years of pretty accurate shooting. On Sunday, it took me a while to find where any of my shots were going! No change in ammo or anything else. I'll shoot it again this week and see if I can sus things out.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
The version I read-in a Guns and Ammo article on the Navy Arms repro "Jungle Carbines"
was that "Mr. Lee Enfield", Ian Sknnerton determined that lightening cuts in the receiver
caused the barrel to torque during sustained firing. The Navy Arms guns had no lightening
cuts, hence no wandering zero. Just reporting what I've read, I confess I've had my No. 5
MkI for seven years, still haven't fired it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody for ur help. Well I just got a Long branch No.4 Mk 1* which set me back but I think I might go hunt for a No. 5 now that I know there isnt really a problem.

cattle4

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
The only problem is finding a good No. 5 Mk1. Accuracy-who buys to shoot? I like what
the late lamented Professor Stratton wrote in my copies of his books-"Collecting Enfields
is preserving History."

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
mine shoots great under every situation i put it in , granted its a long way from combat but ive shot it cold and hot and in all kinds of weather with no noticiable differance

its a 47 FAZ

·
Copper Bullet member
696 Posts
Well, until 2 days ago, I didn't even think about it...2 years of pretty accurate shooting. On Sunday, it took me a while to find where any of my shots were going! No change in ammo or anything else. I'll shoot it again this week and see if I can sus things out.
I would check to make sure screws are tight.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,572 Posts
Asquare10,
What is that rifle on the top?

·
Copper Bullet member
9,017 Posts
I would check to make sure screws are tight.
First thing I checked. Might have been a bad batch of reloads (he said hopefully!). I'll try some decent factory ammo and see if there is any difference.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,801 Posts
"WANDERING ZERO" : That's what I call my useless brother-in-law who changes jobs more often than his underwear.

M

1 - 12 of 12 Posts