Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An acquaintance on another forum is trying to build up his kit for the above pistol. I have no idea what the cleaning rod would look like, but I'm sure someone here does, so if that someone is you, we'd appreciate a photo so my acquaintance can build his kit.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Since no expert has responded I'll take a crack.
Note: I am NOT a Walther expert so this may not be correct............

As I remember, the Walther PP series guns came in various types of boxes with the gun, two magazines, the owner's manual, and a test target.
One magazine usually had a plastic finger extension and one with a flat bottom.
As I recall (note the qualifier) there was no cleaning rod or other accessories.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
I have in the past couple of months obtained one of the first .22 caliber PPK/S pistols made (late 1960's. It came to me in a plastic box with the manual, the test target, and a total of five magazines (Four look to be Walthers, one is definitely aftermarket)). There were also two cleaning rods in the box.

I do not know if the two cleaning rods that came in the box with the gun were original to the rig, but there was one very thin diameter rod with a ring for a handle that had squarish notches at the end, evidently to hold a patch wrapped around it. The second rod was about 10%-15% shorter, made of twisted wire, with a larger ring for a handle, and a brass brush 'built into' the other end.

Like I said, I am not sure if either of these rods are original to the gun, but maybe this info can help you out.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, all. My PPK has the ring-handle cleaning rod, it's for the .380. The .22 ring handle is probably what the guy on the Walther Forum needs, but I haven't seen one on line. Up to me, I'd make one out of a welding rod.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
For what its worth, I took some measurements.

The shorter, twisted wire, rod is about 6 1/2 inches end-to-end. The brush end has 2" of brush, and the diameter is appropriate for a .22 brush. The loop on the other end is about 1-1/2" in diameter.
The wire it is made of is .075" in diameter, and where the wire is twisted together measures .135".

Perhaps the most telling thing is there is a notch in the molded-in divider at the 'bottom end' of the plastic box internals that seems to nicely take the shaft of this rod, and the rod is just under the longest length that would fit inside the box. The box will close over the 1-1/2" loop. On reflection, I figure this is most likely the original rod.

The other rod in the box is 7-1/2" long, the rod is .120" in diameter and it is bent into a 1" diameter ring at one end. The 'flat' on the other end is about 7/8" long and has four small square-shaped staggered notches to catch the cleaning patches. This rod fits only diagonally in the box, and with the molded-in dividers in the box, the pistol needs to sit on top of the rod to be able to get the box closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.