Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are my walnut furnished Swedish Mausers. All have an active presence on the local range where they amaze the members with their accuracy, material quality, and appearance. Some are the result of some light refinishing. The tiger is a rifle made up of parts purchased at Reich's, Kebco, Numrich, and Samco and has no matching numbers. Two of the other m96s are almost matching -- the exceptions are extractors and cleaning rods and, in one case, a handguard. There seem to be two types of walnut involved -- the two on the top are French and the two on the bottom may be something else -- but maybe not. this is a really rewarding hobby and I greatly appreciate the information on this board in my limited understanding of these fine rifles.

Best,

Wartuna

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
8,606 Posts
American black walnut was used during the 1915-1918 time period . What are the dates on your rifles ? Nice looking fiddleback stock on the put together rifle .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have the proper dates

The m96 on the bottom is a 1915 CG, the hand guard does not match (also not matching are the extractor and the cleaning rod), and the barrel is from Norma Precision. It was a rifle that was apparently awarded (Hederspris) to a Mr. Andersson. The m96 above that is a 1917 CG and it is all matching excepting the cleaning rod. Both rifle stocks have very dark, contrasty grain and the 1917 CG has the appearance of quarter sawed wood. Both are not stained -- I just used BLO on them. I have a Mannlicher that has Bavarian Walnut furniture with similar dark and contrasty grain but I doubt that these stocks are of German origin.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
8,606 Posts
The dates could indicate American black walnut . You would have to get the wood tested to be certain of the wood type . I cannot tell much from the photos .

See " JK's " thread on the " Danish Connection " for the address to test your wood .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts