Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local Wally World has winchester 150 gr. 30.06 soft point ammo for a little over $10 a box of 20rds this ammo is in gray/silver box would this ammo be ok to shoot in my M1 rifle I have military ammo but would like to have and shoot some hunting ammo and this price for 30.06 is cheaper than what was at the gun show this weekend.

·
Silver Bullet member
672 Posts
I would not shoot this in my Garand, only because you don't know what powder they used in the loading. Powder burn rate is important to the proper operation of this rifle, and pressures too high at the wrong time can damage your rifle. Be nice to your rifle and stick to loadings tailored for the M1 Garand.

PS: that's a good price on '06. Buy it and use it in your '03 Springfield.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
My local Wally World has winchester 150 gr. 30.06 soft point ammo for a little over $10 a box of 20rds this ammo is in gray/silver box would this ammo be ok to shoot in my M1 rifle I have military ammo but would like to have and shoot some hunting ammo and this price for 30.06 is cheaper than what was at the gun show this weekend.
I know that Wallmart does not sell surplus.

Who is the ammo manufacturer?

(This may go a long way in weather I would shoot the ammo in a Garand or not.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just recently got an M1 from the CMP and was wondering the same thing. I heard that wrong kind of ammo (some commercial) can actually damage the rifle.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Although I would heed Texxut's warning...

I have to confess that I did shoot this stuff in my M1 and it worked fine.

I know Winchester makes NATO spec 308 ammo (although I cant find any).
I wish they would also realise that there are a lot of surplus arms that need WWII spec 30-06 as well.

I guess they will wait until surplus 30-06 stuff is as dry as the 308 is now.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Good odds the ammo has powder that is slower burning than recommended for the Garand. I know Remington advises against using their ammo in Garands but don't know about Winchester.

An adjustable gas nut, like the Schuster nut, is the perfect solution for this issue.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wal Mart Ammo

The 30.06 at Wal Mart is made by Federal 150 gr. sp in gray/ silver box $10.95 20 rd box Birmingham Alabama store.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Wish I knew if it was OK for sure or not.

Even this beat up Greek HXP ammo is overpriced now. Not looking to good.

At least it is cheaper than 308 for now though.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
30-06

You can handload quite economically for the 30-06. Make sure you use 150gr bullets and IMR 4895 powder. Can't gowrong with this combination as this pretty much duplicates the issue load. HTH

·
Registered
632 Posts
Walmart ammo if not over 168 grains or using magnum primers will be ok. Shot pleaty of the stuff out my garand with no issues. Take it from someone who has shot the stuff and not someone who thought about it but never did. Has for reloading go with 168 Seirra BTHP bulletts using 46 grains of IMR 4064 powder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts