Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Wagga Wagga Rifle Club taken in thirties.Next photo is a South Australian Club,third photo is New South Wales Intercolonial rifle match in 1867.
coop

·
Registered
901 Posts
The Wagga boys haven't had a Wagga range to shoot at for years. Apparently they were able to shoot the range of the nearby army training base of Kapooka (home of recruit training in Australia) but that was canned some years ago. Wagga guys usually shoot at the SSAA range about 20k out of town, or Lockhart, about 45k out of town, while some go out to Junee range (my favourite), which sees its centenary in 2009.

All good fun!

Cheers,
Matt

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
Is everyone at the Wagga Wagga rifle Club redundant redundant?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Not far from Wagga Wagga are the small towns or localities of Gumly Gumly, Grong Grong, and Walla Walla. In the local Aboriginal language, one repeats a name to make something plural. Apparently Wagga is the English transliteration of the local word for 'crow' or 'raven', so Wagga Wagga means 'the place of many crows'. Perhaps it should be called Enfield Enfield:p

Cheers,
Matt

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
Why does everyone in Wagga Wagga like going around in circles ???
Vegemite Races??? :eek:

·
Silver Bullet member
15,637 Posts
circles?

Those aren't circles.

But I love that sign.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Junee range and Club

Junee.

It was my first away prize shoot and I have been back many times

I can remember an incident with a bloke with a P14 who said that the rapid section should be shot not in 50 seconds but 30 seconds up and 30 seconds down and 30 seconds up, (you do the math) because “that was the way they did it where he came from” it was pointed out to him that another person had just shot 10 rounds in 50 seconds with his P14 in the previous detail and there were no complaints the 50 seconds rapid was clearly mentioned on the program. The bloke who complained left and the bloke who shot in the first detail came 5th over the two days.
What impressed me the most was that fact that the Club did not bow to the wishes of one agitator.
After all it’s service shooting using service rifles and part of that is the skill in mastering your rifle under challenging conditions.

I have helped Junee arrange new service targets and hopefully the Club will be putting on it’s .303 service shoot in April next year. I need my fix.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not to bring a 'Mauser' to a Lee Enfield shoot... :)
Actually it was not a Lee Enfield Shoot it was a .303 service shoot and there were 4 P14s there not counting the one who left and none of those blokes had any problem’s with the time frame. It took me 42 seconds including the reload and yes I was one of the Blokes using a P14

It may be cruel but I can’t see Mauser users or nagant users asking for more time in the heat of battle or if I can it’s in front of my sights.

It was a 50 second rapid, this 30 up 30 down and 30 up equals 60 seconds why are they given an extra 10 seconds, is it because they came second twice? (1918, 1945)

·
Banned
904 Posts
North Sydney Rifle Range.

The one at the top right looks like Anzac Range at Malabar in the very early days. That rail line running through the target shed and out the other side (past the 25 yard range) looks VERY like it.

North Sydney Rifle Range??? Cant say that I've heard of a FULLBORE range there..itd be good to know what date that pic you published was taken....and I think the North Sydney Fullbore club shot at the old Chatswood range before moving to Hornsby.

I do recall a smallbore range under the (Northern) approaches to the Sydney Harbour bridge..(At North Sydney) that was in the early 60's and the range is probably long gone now. Havent been there for a long time now but there was a large Police garage next door I think...the old PSB or Public Safety Bureau...called something else now but they were a dedicated high speed pursuit section.

Do you have some pics of the old Paddington rifle range??? There is a pub not far from where it was and they have a painting of the old range hanging up in the bar. Not far from the old brewery or where the road now goes into the tunnel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I spent many a Sunday afternoon in the Butts at the South Aussie "Dean Range" servicing targets.

The target frames were very old - Convicts were used in the construction of the range at the turn of the century.

WW2 saw many thousands of rounds of all descriptions including anti tank and mortar.

All gone now to make way for expressways - progress.

Kirby.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Kempsey Rifle Club

Coop any idea on who the fellas in the Kempsey Rifle Club picture are?

if it's Kempsey NSW the Club was formed in 1906.

My great grandfather was a founding member, But I dont know what he looks like.

·
Registered
6 Posts
G'day Coop,
I finally found a forum where i can share my interest in old full bore rifle ranges...
heres a few more photos...cheers

·
Banned
904 Posts
Hi Sidney 7

G'day Coop,
I finally found a forum where i can share my interest in old full bore rifle ranges...
heres a few more photos...cheers
What club are you shooting with??? I guess its at Malabar huh.... I started fullbore at the 'old' Anzac range at Liverpool in the late 50's and Flo Ferguson was around then. In those days she was one of the very few female fullbore shooters.

In those days the range at Chatswood had just closed and those shooters came to Liverpool. (I think then Malabar was only open to the military and a very few civilian clubs)

I also shot at the old Belambi range south of Sydney and the Williamtown one near Newcastle. Both of those are long gone now.

As you probably know many of the ranges at small country towns all over Oz are gone also.

·
2,737 Posts
Old ranges...

I've seen a couple of ranges closed in my area. One in particular was built (as many were) with gov't "Federation Grants" around 1903 to 1908 (years could be out- working from memory here I'm afraid) One in particular were told they were going only weeks after their 100th aniversary celebrations. Surely you'd think it could have been heritage listed and saved for prosperity (yeah, sure... as if that's ever going to happen)

I'll post some pics when I get to my own computer. Got a few of old ranges.

PS, sydney7... I sent you a PM (private message)

Cheers,.
Brad.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It's Swanbourne. SASR still use it. they have to shoot diagonally across it when they use .338 L sniper rifles due to the old template.
WARA almost booted off but may have a reprieve.
Not as good as our "bush range". www.abrc.asn.au

·
Registered
257 Posts

Stumpy the information i first found stated Kempsey Rifle Club,then found Hickey's Creek Rifle Club,thats is all information i could find.
A few more clubs from around Australia in the early days.
Belmont Range Queensland
Bendigo Victoria
Coburg Victoria

Cyclists Club South Aussie
Hay Club
Rifle Club out west NSW
Tilba Bellbrook
University of Melbourne
Sandystone West Aussie
Coop,
I have to correct you on the second photo,top line. It was taken at the front of the VRA pavilion at the Williamstown Rifle range prior to 1914. Front row, second from left is Phil Fargher, Melbourne Rifle Club,who won the Victorian Queen's Prize in 1892 using the Martini-Henry Rifle, and the third feller along, next to Phil is (later) Colonel J.M. Semmens, Melbourne Rifle Club;Coach of the Australian Teams in 1913 to Bisley. Others could be from Bendigo RC on a shoulder-to-shoulder visit to Willy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts