Gunboards Forums banner

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  kimblelr 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 · (Edited)
it is probably chambered for 8x54, one of the short European 8mm cartridges. PM me for more info, if you're interested.

the cartridge described above is called 8x54 Krag-Jorgensen. there is info online if you google the long name. it is simply the 6,5x55 swede necked up to 8mm. pretty uncommon in N. America; handloading the only alternative for ammo. i just looked and Buffalo has the dies in stock. this cartridge was used in the Scandinavian countries.

your rifle 'may' be in this chambering, and it may be something else.

#6 · (Edited)
Your question ZF, concerning "Does anybody know anything about these... Requiring some good quality photos to begin a discussion beyond generalized speculation. You have Frosty, above as an expert concerning the chambering. My question in that respect, the possibility of rechambering to 8x57S. That unless particularly to keep it "as is". Note, not to say "original" at this point. The speculated 8x54 seeming a definite tilt in terms of 'likelihood', but certainly not to say 'never'. I'd suggest a chamber cast in any event!

From the limited perspective available of the single photo... The quite decent stock is styled in predominantly pre Great War vintage. the so-called "action vicinity external "reinforcing pads", the big clue. The bolt handle 'appears' of the Oberndorf Mauser commercial style "M" carbine Model. That carbine was first available in 1914. I believe it is likely a bolt taken from such model, or considerably more likely, the product of a talented gunsmith. The configuration looks 'about' correct for 'Oberndorf commercial', but needing more pix. The action when you have it in your hands can likely tell far more, particularly including nomenclature/markings; above and below stock levels. Just now, my 'seat of pants' guess, the rifle is a nicely converted military model with commercial barrel. Perhaps barrel & stock a set mated to a subsequent action. Really just now, only WAG territory!
Hope you'll return with a plethora of photos for 'mauser collector hungry folks'! :)
Best!
John

#7 ·
Not so sure it is pre-great war. The schnabel and raised side panels not congruous with styling of the era. That said, did the Gunsmith do a chamber cast to determine that chamber length & dimensions? I've got three 8x54KJ's. Great guns. Rare to see one on a 98 action as the cartridge is Scandinavian in origins. if bore has pitting consider a rebore rather than rebarrel. Actual chamber dimensions will tell you what cartridges are possible for a rebore. If not a KJ then I'd be looking toward a 9,3x62. Would be awesome on that platform and would retain original appearances. Pics of something useful, like perhaps barrel and or receiver markings would prove quite useful in determining more about the rifle. Left side of receiver and barrel, under side of barrel, and often underside of receiver below the front ring will yield most clues.

Nice looking rifle.

#10 ·
The Remnants of the Mod 98 marking in your last picture clearly makes this a Post WWII conversion of a Kar98k. Again, pics of the action out of the wood and in the places I described before will likely yield the best indicators of kaliber and perhaps date.

#11 ·
Well gentlemen... Hello again! An iniitial a couple of dasterdly brilliant deductions. First, ZF, or should we call you... "Ausie"! "Kentucky" reference not withstanding! You're 'down under' or thereabouts! All your "upside down" photos the fatal clue! Ha! :) :) :)

But all my stupid jest aside....

zlr congrats on 'sharp eyes'. My needing to copy and 'shop' enhance before the "Mod 98" siderail marking visible. Re your stock comment. Believe that style is particualrly "pre Great War" style. 'Relative proof' in my own style-similar Oberndorf/Suhl-sporter, manufacture/proofing 1912 date wiht very much the same stock style and eveni bit similar 'line engraving'.

I earlier went to the "Lux" firm website (PDF below). Likely rare opportunity to get 'horses mouth' from German builder actually still in business! Wow! I'd surenot hesitate. Much speculation/recommenations available here. But such as an "as built data sheet" likely worth far more and money saving! From there, only needing as applicable to conjure possibility of further adaptation/modification/Bubba-esque mark!

Here... https://www.waffen-lux.de/media/files/2020_03_image_broschuere_deluxe_englisch_online_final.pdf

Email or just ring em up & inquire about your gun! Bet they're English fluent ald likely delighted to talk about one of their products with appreciative person Stateside! Lot of qustions here answered! Maybe to send a data-sheet! Rare opportunity. Historically, the City a Green Party stronghold. Toast to "90/Grun Partei" as I recall!

Best to all & Keep Safe!
John

#13 ·
I think the rifle is chambered in 8x57. If not and since there is some pitting in the bore, I'd advocate for a rebore. The 9,3x62 being my first choice, followed by either the 9x57 or .35 Whelen. While the .338-06 is a great cartridge, most providing the service will not rebore in such a small jump (from 8mm to 8.5mm).

and don't get me wrong, the rifle is nice. If it is indeed an 8x57, I'd surely try shooting it as is. Most 8x57's I've owned have such deep grooves that they shoot very well even with a little frosting in the bore.

#15 ·
Pull the bbl'd action out of the stock and look to see if there are any markings on the bottom of the bbl.
There has to be some proofs and other markings some-where.

There's no caliber marking at all on the rifle?

Did anyone even try a factory 8x57Mauser round in the rifle?

A chamber cast is a good thing, the gunsmith has done one so I understand,

The case extends a bit from the flat breech face of the bbl to the bolt face, so if he is measuring to that breech face edge of the casting,,it's a little short of true OA case length.

Maybe it's chambered for 8x56 MannSchoenauer ?

If it can't be ID'd as a common rd, and you want to do a rebore, I'd consider a 9x57 Mauser.
The 9.3X62mm is a great choice too but make sure the magazine length is sufficient to handle the cartridge length with the bullet(s) you'd want to use for it.
The 9.3x62 is 30-06 case length with heavier bullets. Some lengthening of the magazine box is sometimes wanted to make full use of the caliber.
A 9x57Mauser wouldn't be any concern.

9x57 dies would be more expensive than 9.3x62 dies though as far as I remember. Something else to keep in mind.

Also,,if thoughts are to send to JES for reboreing,,I've been told that he is hesitant to rebore Mauser bbls now (hard spots).
I haven't talked to him lately so it may just be rumor. It may just be certain Military bbls and not commercial.
Best to to call Jessie first anyway.

Neat looking rifle,,hope you get it up and shooting.
as z1r says,,if it turns out to be a standard 8x57Mauser,,I'd leave it just like it is. Absolutely nothing wrong with the caliber

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.