Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to decide whether or not to post my questions here or in the sporting arms section... However, most of the '98 knowledge is here - so here it is. My friend ran across a rather beautiful old custom '98 and sent pics to me on his phone. I knew immediately by the appearance of the rifle that this was no mere Bubba/garage job. There is ornate engraving on the receiver (oak leaves) along with stippling on the top of the receiver. The original scope remains on the rifle with the emblem "Waffen Lux Heidelberg Leopoldstr.9". The stock also has a cartouche with the same information in a rectangular stamp. The floor plate is engraved as are the screws. The curious thing is, I noticed the eagle/swastika proof mark still intact on the side of the receiver.

I wasn't familiar with the name or the cartouche, so I did a little Googling and found some information on the company and here is a quote from their web site:

"The Friedrich Lux Company was founded in 1931 as a single enterprise by the gunsmith master Friedrich Lux in Heidelberg. Lux also managed this company during the difficult wartime years and 'Waffen Lux' was allowed to resume its work after the war in 1949. This was the period in which Friedrich Lux was predominantly busy with his gunsmiths in the workshop with new constructions and repairs of the old pre-war weapons."

I believe the "Heidelberg Leopoldstr.9" indicates the address of the gunsmith, at least at that time - Leopold Strasse 9.

Since I have not yet had the opportunity to handle the rifle, I'm not sure if it was built on a Gew. 98 or K98 receiver. From the pictures sent to me, it seems to be a beautifully crafted rifle. I wish I had more information - but I can only go by the few phone pics sent.

Does anyone know much about these rifles - good, bad or indifferent? Well, since it IS a '98 action it can't be bad and, I imagine, having the same level of craftsmanship done on a custom rifle these days would cost a considerable amount.

I'm also wondering if the rifle is a war time creation or post war? I'm guessing it was a post war endeavor, since using military receivers for custom rifles during the war would probably have been a no-no.

If anyone has a similar rifle by the same maker, PLEASE post pics.

Anyway, I'm heading out in a little bit to take a look at the rifle. If it comes home with me, I will post pics. By the way, the tag in the pic indicated 8mm and the asking price was $549.00.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well... I got to handle the rifle today and was pretty impressed. But just as I was seriously considering making the purchase, I noticed the wrist area (behind the sear groove) was cracked. Considering a correct stock replacement would be impossible, I decided against it.

·
Gold Bullet member
101 Posts
Kurz, I believe that one would have followed me home. Some sporters have top quality workmanship. Cracks can be repaired, unless it was broken clear through. Even at that, the action, barrel and scope would value more then the asking price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts