Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it may be interesting to some to see K98's still being used. Even though it's just for ceremony and drill. I found the pic on a website that is selling the Watchbataillon tunics. The pic made me wonder if there rifles were post war made up Mauser's for drill or WWII surplus. Found the info below on Wikipedi. Doesn't really surprise me they're scrubbed of all original markings.

"For reasons of tradition the Wachbataillon is the only unit of the Bundeswehr still using the Karabiner 98k because the traditional Prussian rifle drills can be executed better with that historical weapon. In 1995 remaining Swastika and other Nazi-era markings were removed from these rifles, after criticism regarding the presence of such symbols on Wachbataillon kit by the SPD parliamentary party."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wachbataillon

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Svenagain might be able to give more information about the protocol use of these. There have been various reports about the arms of the guard batallion in the German gun press; they are a mix-up of early and late, walnut stocks and laminate, flat buttplate and cupped. Apparently, no care is (or was) given to the selection of arms in a particular honour formation.

Carcano

1 - 3 of 3 Posts