Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know more about this shotgun.

On barrel under forearm/forestock right barrel “1336” left barrel “3472”
On barrel under forearm/forestock right barrel “SC” (C could be a K or T?)
On forearm/forestock fore iron “NR 30”
Barrel lock barrel side “NR”
Left Side RICHARDS
Right Side W. Richards
30” barrels.

There are so many mfgr. marks on this shotgun I took pictures. I'll be posting them as soon as I shrink them a little for the web. Here's the starter pic.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What ever it is I have no intention of selling, maybe wall mounting , but not selling. It may not be a "Wesley Richards" but, it was mfg'd as a "W. Richards" or "Richards" since the name is engraved on the side. What I'm calling an "NR" maybe a "WR" I'll look a little closer at those marks. What mark did you see to make it a 'Belgian?' Here are some pics in better light...

Maybe these will help determine what it is.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,339 Posts
Yep. T'is Belgian. Belgian makers made some excellent shotguns, but only under their own names.

"No one would forge "Smith" or "Jones" and happy the gunmakers who possess such names; but names such as "greener" will be spelled "Greenen", "Purdey" as "purdy", "W.C. Scott & Son as "J. N. Scotts Son," whilst of the imitations of "Westley Richards" the name is legion."

W.W. Greener, "The Gun And Its Development", Chapter 16, "Choice of a Gun" - "The Spurious Gun And It's Detection"

Someone once tried to sell me a "Barker Brothers". I suppose the name alteration makes prosecution harder but sometimes this name imitation is fully legal. The A.H. Fox Gun Co. ended up being owned by the Savage Arms Co., which produced real Fox Shotguns, partly from left over parts, until 1942. Savage also stuck the name 'Fox" on the utilitarian Model B, (Stevens 311), which continued in production until 1988.

That high pitched whirring sound you hear is old Ansley H. Fox, designer of the "Finest Gun In The World", turning over in his grave.

·
Banned
901 Posts
In Belgium and Germany there was about 1000 small and large gunsmakers, someone made rifles for large trademarks , someone has it own names, and of corse fakes ;) Three years ago I bought old drilind called Kaba Suhl but in fact that was Krieghoff :grin: only for 400$, because no one knows :laugh:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks gentlemen (all 2nd Amdmt rights supporters are gentlement) all others are just scalawags :) . I'll be making a nice wall hanging board for the old gal when the time is right. I think the rough look will make a nice wall mount.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,482 Posts
Less literate people back in the day attracted by the illusion ownership in his little village of owning with pride what the wealthy land barons spoke about in the pubs, or dog handlers, workers during the hunt heard spoken about..from a far.....
Like around here smith an western.. Gun or cartages ...
I last few months got Ansley H Fox...model 1920..$ 1,500+ valued gun.
Around here not in shows Fox 1920, Savage Fox....no matter model year quality vs less later productions is known as Fox....the lower price guns......higher price history!

Reading researching brings top prices....horse trading ...it's just a Fox! And this is the 21 century!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks R Z, my intention is to just hang it on the wall as a conversation piece...however, I did look at the marks and I have, it appears several of the same variety handed down to me. I suppose I could melt them down and make a gun with them :) . Thanks again.

3,522 Posts
Have one that is virtually identical that I found in an old fallen-in barn many, many years ago while cruising a tract of timber. Left barrel had blown out about a third of the way from the muzzle to the breach. Most probably it was an old "barn gun" and a dirt-dobber (type of wasp) had built a nest in the barrel before someone got the surprise of their lives! At the time thought I had found an original Richards, though there was no "s" after Richard. Turned out to be a fake. Presently hanging over the back porch door!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.