Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching these rifles for a while now and one thing I still don't fully understand is the widely varied conditions of vz52's compared to most of the vz52/57's on the market. From what I've seen, most of the vz52's come from African surplus and are rather poor condition, while vz52/57's are bring-backs or maybe imported after use as ceremonial guns and are in great condition. How accurate is this assessment? Haven't found too much info on this outside of some old forum posts from years ago before some of the more recent imports.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm fairly certain the bulk of the Century Arms imports (the ones they Rhino-lined) were from Central America, or something. I know when I disassembled mine to remove the truck bed liner it was full of dirt, sand, and other crud. Century didn't even bother cleaning it before they painted it... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Not sure the total number of 57/57 rifles but the number less than 1000 has been bantered around on total imported... the number 700 comes to mind. Some ... as stated may there may have been bring backs but I would say not very many. Most 52/57 were probably given away to other countries after they were deemed obsolete.

52's there were quite a few more imports from South American and Africa but many were not properly maintained w corrosive ammo. 52/57 is the way to go if you are thinking about getting one ... if you can find one imho.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,909 Posts
I have never seen any reliable evidence that 52/57 rifles were captured and brought back from the ‘83 Grenada Invasion. I feel safe in believing that none were.

Reactions: bmont

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have never seen any reliable evidence that 52/57 rifles were captured and brought back from the ‘83 Grenada Invasion. I feel safe in believing that none were.
I have a Grenada bring back I bought at a gun show from the soldier who snuck it in. But it is a VZ52 not a VZ52/57. The VZ52/57 were imported by Century and legally came through Canada. I have one I bought from Auction Arms with three mags, mag pouch and cleaning kit many years ago, (still have it.) Most, if not all ceremonial rifles were demilled, chromed and are still in use by the Czechs for honor guard duty. Not many have made their way to the US. Most VZ52's came from Central America, South America, Egypt and other Middle East Countries. Condition varied widely, some in decent condition with shiny bores and uncracked stocks to the truck bed liner ones by Century with many sewer pipe bores. Anyone remember the VZ52 4'fers Century offered back in the 1990's? The old VZ52 is the true underdog of the Milsurp world. Great shooting rifle if you stocked up on the ammo when it sold for less than 5 cents per round. One of my favorite rifles with a very interesting place in history. The Czechs make very good firearms.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Have a VZ52 in excellent condition. Very accurate. Is this the only firearm that shoots this cartridge?
Czech firearms are favored by me. High quality and accurate.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Have a VZ52 in excellent condition. Very accurate. Is this the only firearm that shoots this cartridge?
Czech firearms are favored by me. High quality and accurate.
In addition to the machinegun, I believe the early prototypes of the Vz58 also fired the 7.62X45 round. I have a book about it, but it's in Czech.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Bumthum, could you please share according page of the book? I can read & check...
I'll look when I get back to the book. It may be that I'm remembering incorrectly, I know I've read it on the internet, but going off of what I did understand from the book it might be that I was looking at some form of assault rifle prototype that isn't actually related to the Vz58 series. As I said, I'll dig the book out and look for what I saw.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Bumthum,VZ58 was from the beginning constructed for 7,62x39mm cartridge. But there were predecessors ZK503, ZB530 and CZ522 in the 7,62x45.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts