Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a VZ24 for Christmas. In the process of taking it apart and cleaning it up I noticed that the last 1 1/4" of the barrel has no rifling whatsoever. It appears that the end of the barrel is a sort of "false muzzle". It is definitely a separate piece. Is this normal for VZ24's? I have not observed this with any other Mauser I have owned. I have not fired it yet so I don't know about the accuracy. The bore cleaned up well, with sharp rifleing. Is this an arsenal repair of a damaged crown or normal manufacturing for these rifles?

Paul

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,356 Posts
Hey Paul - that's referred to as a "counter bore". Its where someone removed the last inch or so of rifling. This was done to remove the worn out barrel end/rifling. It did not leave that factory that way. It was likely done during a refurbishment process. This will process improve accuracy compared to the worn out end. HTH - CC

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charlie,

Thanks for the info. Whoever did the job did it well. It is very hard to tell from the outside. I will let you know how it shoots.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
The "separate piece" on the end of the muzzle is the front sight sleeve. On the VZ-24 as on the Gew 98, the end of the barrel was milled down to accept a sleeve the same OD at the barrel. The front sight is mounted on this sleeve. This differs from the K98k where the front sight mounts on a band that goes over the barrel and eliminates the milling process.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts