Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a few pics of the VZ24 that I picked up on Saturday. It has the lion crest and an E(lion)36 on the left side just above the serial number 13xx B4. Questions, comments and history are most welcomed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
nice to see an early Lion Crested rifle. I think the lion crest started in 1935. I have not seen many 1935 or 1936 dated crested rifles. So it is very neat to see. Floor plate is not original but should be easly to replace with an un numbered part.

Robert

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike, the bore as yet untouched by me is shiny with what looks like dust only in the grooves. It's not counterbored.

Robert, thanks for noticing and informing about the mag plate. The stampings look German to me but I've no German rifles to compare to. I'll be looking for a proper era sling as well.

Thanks,
Dana

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,872 Posts
The rifle looks very nice and appears to have that "been there and done that" look to it. Out of curiosity, does the serial number of the bolt match that of the receiver. How about the stock, is it serial numbered and, if so, does it match.

Tim

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Hmmmm...if I'm not mistaken, this looks like one I saw on Navygunner's table last Saturday at the show in Manchester, New Hampshire. ;)
Regards,
John

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,099 Posts
Hi Dana, you got the rifle from me at the Manchester show. I hope that you're pleased with it? I didn't realize that your were a fellow GunBoards member. We should get one of the new GunBoards shirts so we can recognize one other at the shows. It was nice meeting you.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rifle updates

Tim, no the bolt doesn't match the receiver serial number but the bolt numbers do match themselves. The stock is numbered also but doesn't match anything else.
Stock is ER 4882. I like the "been there..." look on military rifles. No sanding here, just disassembly, cleaning and reassembly oiled as necessary. With all the mismatched parts I'm fairly sure that this must be a Finnish / Czech rifle. :)

John, good eye !

NavyGunner, it was a pleasure meeting you and acquiring this wonderful rifle. Yes, I am very happy with it. The nice tiger striping in the stock is what first caught my eye and then to find that the rifle was a VZ24 was an even better bonus. The story that I tell my interested friends about the rifle that was found on the last table at the end next to the wall always brings smiles. Literally it was the last rifle in the show. :)
I agree that us New England Gunboarders/gunhorders should maintain better show ID.

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,099 Posts
Dana, It was a pleasure to meet you too. I'm glad that your happy with it, it's a nice one. Did you notice that the front sight cover has the Czech lion mark on it? Numrich has used German FAL slings with crosshatched pattern, you can cut them down to fit the VZ-24 and it'll will look good on it. In German service they used a variety of slings on them.

Fergie, my hearing dog, and I go to a lot of the shows around here so hopefully we'll meet up again. Just look for the cute Collie in the orange vest.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did notice the mark on the front sight cover and am glad that now I know it's the Cz lion. As a newish collector my knowledge of stamps and markings is lacking especially when referring to anything German, Czech, Polish....et al (and I do mean all ) :)
I think that a data sheet similar to the one for the Russian and Japanese weapons is in order for the Mausers. It would be very helpful.
I can hardly wait to take this rifle to the range to compare to the 24/47s.
Thanks again and I look forward to upcoming shows.

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,099 Posts
Dana, Mauser Military Rifle Marking 2nd edition by Terence W. Lapin is a good book about the various markings. I not sure if it's still in print but you might find it at a show or on the Internet.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks NavyGunner, I'll check out that issue of the Lapin book series.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts