Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to All,

is it possible to give a date of manifacture to my VZ24 s.n.2853J3 as well as knowing if it belongs to any national or foreign contract?

Thanks in advance for any contribution,

Alfredo

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,932 Posts
The J3 suffix rifles were made in 1933. If yours is marked E (lion) 33 on the left side of the receiver ring, it was accepted by the Czechoslovak army.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
That type serial number (4 numbers, letter/number or with leter/number first) was the Czech military system, never used on export made rifles. Some military rifles were used to fill contracts, however this was not the usual policy. I have no listings for J3 rifles in my rather limited list. J4 came along in 1937 so J3 would have been the whole alphabet before. (26 or so letters) 1933 sounds about right, I would be interested where you got that from tho geladen?

·
15,932 Posts
That type serial number (4 numbers, letter/number or with leter/number first) was the Czech military system, never used on export made rifles. Some military rifles were used to fill contracts, however this was not the usual policy. I have no listings for J3 rifles in my rather limited list. J4 came along in 1937 so J3 would have been the whole alphabet before. (26 or so letters) 1933 sounds about right, I would be interested where you got that from tho geladen?
http://rml1708.com/MyCzechWebpage/czmaim.htm

·
15,932 Posts
Here's my take on it:

There are some listings on the chart that do not make sense - but there is a D3 1933 and a Y3 1933. J3 would be between them, 1933.

The Spanish Civil War stippled out markings may have been 1933 instead of 1935 as reported.

B4 1936 and J4 1937 are probably valid.

The V3 and Y3 reported as 1936 may have been made in 1933 but not accepted by the Czechoslovak Army until 1936.

There seems to be a 1934-1935 gap. It looks like the army had all the rifles it wanted toward the end of 1933 and did not start taking more until 1936.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.