Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day from Oz, with my few days of I have been sorting through and cataloging the bayonets in my collection, which has taken longer than expected thanks to this forum and a couple of informative websites. There now are bayonets that identify as to what they are meant to instead of what they were brought as :), but the real surprise has been the vz24's as a lot has been learnt on them these last few days. One I am not sure of is what I think is a Romanian vz24. It has what I assume to be FR 1811 serial # on the back of the pommel, the FR is struck at 90 degrees to 1811 and between the 1 & 8. CSZ over P stamped r/h side ricasso, a couple of stamps on the bottom tang I have been unable to work out (see picture) and Scabbard tang marked Z inside of circle, side of tang SR 7663. There is no date on this that I could locate. What I am thinking is this was Czech issued before being shipped to Romania. Unidentified markings.jpg Ricasso.jpg Pommel.jpg Scabbard markings.jpg Side scabbard.jpg

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
14,837 Posts
Your first photo shows a Slovak emblem on the left. At one point, bayonets intended for Slovakia were thrown into the Romanian contract. The marking on the right looks to be a circle CM for Romania.

The second photo shows a P which is just a batch designator.

In the third photo, on the pommel, the FR was the original s/n prefix but the number under it was scrubbed and very sloppily replaced by 1811.

The fourth photo shows a square CM for Romania. Both round and square markings were used.

The last photo shows an SR s/n prefix which is Romanian.

So you have both a VZ24 bayonet and scabbard made for Romania.

Below are photos of my ex-Slovakian VZ24 Romanian bayonet with both bayonet and scabbard marked 40 for 1940.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
The Vz24 bayonet was only slovakian proofed for second romanian contract, as mentioned a scabbard is Brno production from last romanian contract.Offcoarse the new serial was realised by romanians.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the informative replies geladen and AndyB I am finding the VZ24 bayonets most interesting. Here are some photos of the four I have the middle two in the group photo are Romanian while the outer two are Czech.

All the best for the New Year guys.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
14,837 Posts
photo 2: not clear
photo 3: Romanian (Slovak emblem)
photo 4: Czech accepted 1948 (uncommon, for VZ98N rifle)
photo 5: Czech accepted 1938 but Romanian CM marked after that

My photos are of my VZ98N rifle and 1946 accepted bayonet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a great rifle and bayonet combo you have there geladen. I will try and take a clearer 2nd pic later plus I am now starting to go through my rifles now that I have finished recording and logging the bayonets. I know there is a least 1 VZ24 rifle but as to which country it was issued I am unsure at this stage, might have to pull that one out next.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Two bayonets are war or prewar period,both of them part of romanian contracts, one blurry and one E3lion 48 should be tgf stamped on pommel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts