Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this is a major problems with mosin nagants, but does the vz24 barrel expand as drastically as the mosin nagant after about a dozen shots are fired through it rapidly? my friend has a yugo m48, and it seems that you can shoot that almost all day and accuracy seems to stay around the smae. thanks!

·
Gold Bullet member
248 Posts
I wouldn't calll it dramatic but yes, they do expand when heated up. That's why your military Mausers have stepped barrels...if you look closely at the stock inletting you will notice that there's a bit of clearance in the barrel channel in front of every step of the barrel to allow the barrel to expand lengthwise when heated up. The expansion in diameter is accounted for by the small amount of clearance that the barrel has in the barrel channel and the handguard. The only points that the barrel is suposed to touch anything is where it is screwed into the receiver and the front/rear bands for the K98 style stocks and only the front band for stocks with full length handguards...

If you're asking why group sizes are opening up more on some rifles compared to others when your barrel is heating up, there could be a bunch of different reasons for that. Bad inletting of the receiver/barrel is only one of the possibilities...

·
Gold Bullet member
592 Posts
what do you mean? that i should get the same results with the vz24?
The VZ24 & M48 are more similar then a Moisin. The differences-M48 has a shorter action & an extractor groove cut in the barrel. The VZ is of higher quality which should give less problems due to craftmanship. Why it's expanding like that? Bad inletting, bad ammo, bad barrel, etc. Something is wrong. A VZ24 and M48 in the exact same condition should operate very similar. BW, BB

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i havent fired my vz yet. i have just had 2 mosins, and they both loose accuracy after about a dozen shots cuz the barrel is so hot. i was just curious if this was the case with the vz. and i know that the quality on a vz 24 is MUCH higher than on a wartime production MN.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
Inletting/bedding problems are the usual culprit and as the rifle heats up the differential expansion rates of the steel and the stock wood causes the point of bullet impact to shift.. Mausers like the recoil lug and rear couple of inches of the barrel firmly bedded. Sometimes for some stocks a front support with a little tension under the muzzle works but usually "walking" bullets as the rifle heats up is minimized by free floating the barrel.

I've seen forearms spring down or of to the side by as much as 4 inches when the bands are removed in a couple of extreme cases, one a mauser, one an MN 91/30. The effect on accuracy can be imagined.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts