Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting into another AK Variant. The local sporting goods store has both in stock for the same price. Which one is more rugged? Accurrate? Overall which one is a better rifle? What would you go with and why?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Rugged... probably ak
Accurate.. probably vz
I love both platforms the same. Just meeny, mino, mo them and pic whichever your finger falls on. Then buy the other in a year or 2. Buy lots of 7.62x39 while waiting for the other rifle.

I have both(well a vepr, not a pap), wish I had bought more x39.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the vz-58 mags hard to find? Are they ridiculously expensive?

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,889 Posts
I own 4 VZ2008s, a Yugo M70 (as close as I got to a PAP) and several other AK/AKMs. I would consider the AK more robust, accuracy is probably most dependent on the individual rifle but I'd consider either to be 3moa weapons (maybe better, maybe worse).

As far as going with one or the other... I really don't care much for the look of the PAP rifles I've seen so for me I'd pick the VZ. But I own several AK variations I'd pick over a VZ any day of the week :)

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I would say it depends on the price. How much is the shop asking for the vz and what does it come with? Aim has their package for $500 and free shipping and transfer I was less than $540 into it. Came with bayonet, scabbard, cleaning kit, sling, magazine pouch, and 5 magazines. Not to mention Aim has the easiest ordering system I have used. Buy the gun and click on whatever FFL you want it shipped to and they take care of the rest

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
with the vz2008, can you change the stock from wirefolding to a solid stock (if that makes any sense?)? I do not like wire stocks or folding stocks. Also what is the difference between a PAP AK and a yugo M70?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
with the vz2008, can you change the stock from wirefolding to a solid stock (if that makes any sense?)? I do not like wire stocks or folding stocks. Also what is the difference between a PAP AK and a yugo M70?
As spax mentioned you can change the stock, but I have read it is still a strange cheek weld so make sure you like the feel of the vz. Some people love it and some hate it

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Vz sux. Realy does . Simple is better . Get ready to send it out to get welded

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Vz sux. Realy does . Simple is better . Get ready to send it out to get welded
Please dont lump Vz and Century together. One is a Vz the other is probobly ok. My Vz has yet to suck in about 5k rounds shooting in coal dust without cleaning or lube. But like I said, my is a Vz. I have no experiance with Century made Czech rifles.

OP,

I own both the Czech Vz and AKs. The AK is simpler and parts are easier to find/get. The Vz is a little more complicated. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I love my Vz and have been doing tourture test on it and its going strong, no problems. The Vz cheek weld for me is much better than any AK and as a lefty I can run it like a right handed person would normally run an AR. The safety is on the thumb side for me, the mag release is on the side of my trigger finger and I dont need to break my grip on either hand to drop the mag. Accuracy is about the same with good ammo. It also has slightly better ergos....for me.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
Please dont lump Vz and Century together. One is a Vz the other is probobly ok. My Vz has yet to suck in about 5k rounds shooting in coal dust without cleaning or lube. But like I said, my is a Vz. I have no experiance with Century made Czech rifles.

OP,

I own both the Czech Vz and AKs. The AK is simpler and parts are easier to find/get. The Vz is a little more complicated. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I love my Vz and have been doing tourture test on it and its going strong, no problems. The Vz cheek weld for me is much better than any AK and as a lefty I can run it like a right handed person would normally run an AR. The safety is on the thumb side for me, the mag release is on the side of my trigger finger and I dont need to break my grip on either hand to drop the mag. Accuracy is about the same with good ammo. It also has slightly better ergos....for me.

Good reply, i agree. My century has been preforming without a hitch; the only problem one can have with it is the use of kit parts from an actual service rifle.. but you can run into that on a AK kit. The only difference is the striker fire system requires many more springs than the ak. Also the rifle was never designed to shoot semi only; so cz patented a tab on the carrier to fully hit the disconnector everytime. That is the only problem i can think one could have with the new century builds since they do not have the rights to tab the carrier. In saying that.. the 500 deal for it is epically good value. You get 150+ in accessories so really you are buying a vz 2008 for around 350 dollars. At that price i can live with paying $40 to have my carrier tabed because everything else about the rifle i love. This is from a guy who owns and has owned many an AK. The aks are going to be around.. the vzs arn't and if you don't like it you can always sell it. To much win in that package deal.

If the package deal didn't exist i would say go ak.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,889 Posts
I count myself lucky that I bought my VZ2008's after they got the bugs worked out but were still tabbing the carriers, all 4 of mine are tabbed and seem to work 100%. That said I still don't quite consider the design as robust as the AK/AKM platform.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
Agreed. Its hard to beat the ak. The AK is arguably the most rugged rifle on the planet. However; for me, the VZ is more interesting, unique and fun. The main attraction is its price point. The current builds from century are quality, i do not equate the design fault a century specific problem.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I would say +1 to everything Spaxspore said. I was on the hunt for an ak but then discovered the VZ package from aim and couldn't resist. Came with everything I need besides the Czech muzzle brake and tab. My father has a tab made for mine I just need to bring him the rifle so we can weld it on and test it out. For $500 I definitely did not go wrong and the quality seems very good

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Sax pore is the onean marching band for the vz . First gotta think about those gremlins and how many don't want rifles with out the box issues

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes make it known that if you purchase a vz2008, you will need to weld a tab on the bolt carrier if one is not there. People on a bunch of forums swear up and down you don't, but if you want the rifle to run 100% it needs a tab. If that's no problem for the buyer then its a great gun.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
does anyone know if the AIM ones come with the tab?

Spaxspore where did you get the solid stock and the muzzle break? I saw on the cz usa website that they have the stock with the butt plate and swivel for 120 bucks. That seems steep. Did you find it some place else cheaper?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Shock, I don't believe it comes with a tab. I can check my rifle again, but I am not quite sure what exactly to look for. I bought the stock from the CZ website as well it was $140 out the door, but all the parts come with it and finding the butt stock complete is somewhat hard. As for the muzzle brake CNC Warrior might have them in stock later or if you check eBay they had some original VZ muzzle brakes which I picked up.

As for this thread in general. I wouldn't say the, "vz sux" especially for the deal they are having right now. Please tell me where I can find an AK at that price with all the extra bells and whistles. As Spax said, there is nothing wrong with these rifles and Century did a good job on these rifles, my hats off to them. Heck, they did a good job on my Polish AKMS build as well.

As for the PAP M70, I don't know much about them, but I would assume they are pretty good AKs as well. It all comes down to what you would like the most.

I like how the VZ is a unusual rifle and people are like, "NICE AK!" he,he,he yes.. AK. ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts