Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a VZ52 (from the Classic Firearms import), and finally got setup for and made some 7.62x45 cases from 6.5x52 Carcano brass. The problem now is, they extract but are not ejecting. The bolt is pulling them straight back all the way to the stop and doesn't want to let go. At its further point rearward, all that happens is the case is angled upwards slightly, then its brought back in line when the rearward pressure on the handle is released.

Any ideas what may be wrong?

V/R,
Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mike,

Check rim Dia. on the Case. should be .440 D. plus or minus a few thousandth. Also, did you put a bevel on the outside of the rim edge? This will help pivot the case out. This bevel also helps the case to match the bevel in the magazine which helps us seat the bullet a bit farther out in the magazine.

Also assuming the rifle ejected mil surplus rounds with no issue.

If you haven't, get a hold of a few mil-surplus rounds and copy them as close as possible.

Best

J

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response. I went back and put a bevel on the rim. A few were still sticking a bit, but all ejecting (those with a little more force on bolt on the first try). After the first cycling they all worked just fine.

I really appreciate the advice. There’s very little info out there about these rifles, and I do t have any original rounds to compare them too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Glad it worked.

Take a non loaded round and put it into the magazine. Look at the bevel at the back of the magazine. The bevel on the new case should be somewhat close to the bevel at th eback of the magazine.

I use 1.7625 for the case OAL. The throat on these rifles is fairly long. On both of my VZ 52's ( AYM and SHE) I can seat the bullet as far out as it will go in the magazine and still be safe. These are not fussy rifles.

I have been annealing the brass to give the brass a bit more formability. Once I shoot the brass the first time I trim, bevel the inside of the case mouth and neck size after that to make the brass last a bit longer.

Being a semi auto the brass will get some dings in it during chambring and ejection. No biggy as long as the dings are not too deep.

Plenty of info on powders to use. IMR 4895 is a good one. But there are many other's that will work.

Good luck and post how your Home brew ammo works. From a rest I have been able to hit a 16" D gong at 300yards.

Best

J

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for all the advice. For now all we’ll be making are dummy rounds (snap caps). Great for function checking, dry-fire practice (muscle memory), or display.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts