Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CZ.52 I bought 8 years ago ago with a spare barrel in 7.62x45. I have continuously had problems lately finding any 7.62x45 and was looking into a 7.62x39 chamber sleeve for the spare barrel (don't want to touch the original barrel) but have read that there is a problem with the adapters ejecting with spent rounds and was looking for a way to permanently install it. I was wondering if it would be possible to lock the sleeve into place by drilling and threading a 2mm or 3mm hole through the bottom of the chamber and partially into the sleeve and then fill the hole and lock the sleeve into place using a screw made of 416 stainless steel. Would the adapter and screw be able to withstand the pressure and prevent extraction of the adapter with the spent round? (see crude sketch of idea)

Attachments

·
Registered
19,306 Posts
a guy in Anchorage AK makes them, forget his website, had it bookmarked on my old computer, if you google it, you can find him.
I'd be EXTREMELY leery of drilling a chamber
I'd rather cut a 6mm sleeve for my press and simply load with a x39 die

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
by the way, they are called "vz52", not cz52, I mean, the pistol is called cz52. The best insurance to make sure a insert would work would be to use "green Loctite" which is otherwise known as sleeve retainer, it has a five hundred degree failure point. I wished I had a x45 worthy of trying out the sleeve I have, but anytime a person starts messing with a chamber, the they had better not have a rifle worth $300 or more just to emulate an sks.

The best method if one "just has to" have one of these in 7.62x39, is have a gunsmith modify the chamber end of the barrel at the breech end, but then that would create all kinds of dimensional problems, it has been done before. Probably would be best to have a conversion barrel, and none are made.

On green Loctite, they make a preparation spray to prepare clean surfaces, then a person could use green Loctite sleeve retainer, and nothing is really changed, it would be nice to know that the sleeve would never come out without using a propane torch to removed it. I bet there are some real experts in using acid core silver content solder, that would be a pretty decent method if someone knew how to do a solder job real well, but it would be tricky not to get any silver solder in the bore by plugging off while working, somehow, maybe with a wad of aluminum foil. I don't have the guts to ever try out silver solder with acid core, I have had difficulties, and I aint desparate enough.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Besides another point, the little sleeve for caliber conversion is small and thin metal, I wouldn't stand up to being threaded or having a lock screw pushed against it, I mean, it would crush inwards if a set screw were run against it, very thin metal. Probably the very best method would be to have the entire original chamber drilled out, then a complete new chamber piece inserted and tack welded in place, etc etc.

It is too bad those insert kits cost like $40, otherwise a person could green Loctite and if it lasted for 200 rounds and then was lost then replaces cheaply, well then it would be okay to start all over again with new. Maybe the best method apart from green Loctite is to use a brass catcher during shooting, then when or if the insert dislodged, it goes into the brass catcher.

Another method if I was desparate, some sort of spot welding the insert inside the chamber, where an insert is inserted with the insertion tool that comes with it but coated with aluminum foil to prevent insert welding to insertion tool(or a brass piece adapted or made to do this), inside a clean chamber, attached to one end of a spot welder electrode, the other spot welder electrode attached to barrel, then machine momentarily set to come on to "spot weld" it inside, errrr, haha, one mistake and goodbye useable barreled receiver.

But jeese, I can see where some folks want the uniqueness of a vz52 in a common caliber, and reloading dies are up there in price, apart from spotty reloading supplies in the last couple years.

Magazines are no problem, jancz who posts here has 52/57 7.62x39 magazines in stock, but they are rare magazines and nothing in this world is cheap, neither are guns and accessories. regular vz52 magazines do not work, take it from someone who knows, I damaged a otherwise decent unissued vz52 mag trying to tweek it to fit, and it would never work right, it would have been more reliable if I had put a wood block in a mag well and threw in single rounds by hand with the gas system disabled to make it a bolt action rifle, well, there is a method to this, having a bolt actuator as spare and cutting off the legs so the gas piston works but doesn't unlock the bolt to make it bolt action.

·
Gold Bullet member+
French Issue APX L806 scope sets SOLD OUT
1,258 Posts
Found these pics on the Internet long ago ..........

·
Registered
603 Posts
I believe Numrich sells the kit. I would not do an insert. That is a hack job. Would you put in insert into a barrel of a 30-06 to use a 308? Save your money and buy a 52/57. They are around you just have to be patient.

James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.