Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this up from Kevin Carney @ North China Arms earlier this year, and hope to obtain a correct scope and mount for it someday. Not sure why the bolt is straight, but it matches the recevier... would a K.98 bolt provide enough clearance if the scope is installed or is the correct bolt something different? I've seen pics of some mounts for these, they are VERY high, would the straight bolt clear it properly? This is my first non-Mosin-Nagant sniper rifle.

·
Silver Bullet member
402 Posts
IO has some repo mounts that take one inch scopes. The original mounts are very hard to find and the original scopes are even more difficult. The correct bolt should be bent about like a K98 bolt; a straight one would not clear.

Congratulations on your find!

·
Registered
877 Posts
It looks like your rifle does not have any Czecho-Slovak proof marks. Production serial numbers for Czecho-Slovakia were usually letter and four numbers. In your example it is letter and five numbers. I would say that your rifle could be Romanian export (most Romanian export rifles include letter R in their serial number). For Romanian export proper scope could be I.O.R 4.5x28. I also saw an example with Russian PEM scope. Czecho-Slovakian rifles used Optikotechna or Srb & Stys pre-war commercial scopes. All of these scopes are quite difficult to find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
these rifles are post WW2 rumanian conversions.some VZ24 used are prewar rumanian contract rifles.some VZ24 used are prewar czech army issued and other VZ24 contract rifles obtained post WW2.the only right scope is the IOR 4.5x scope.the russian scopes and other german and czech scopes are used by collectors as an expedient scope solution.
i still have 2 original mounts for sale.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,291 Posts
Thanks, so what type of scope would be correct for this rifle?
The IOR scopes are very difficult to find. Rare is a misused word in collecting ranks, but these scopes are rare. Call me what you will, but I wanted one to have at least one in my Czech/Romanian collection and paid $864 plus shipping from Italy for one on European eBay. That is just the scope, the mounts are up there pretty good and then the cost of the rifle..............

Not a easy pill to swallow.

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the information. Greg.gdw, please check your e-mail, I'd like more info on the mounts you've got.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts