Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up recently, thought I would share it here. A VZ 24 non scrubbed with its Crest intact. Good bore, non matching bolt, and from what I can tell its original finish.

Enjoy the pics, comments are always welcome.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
just looked at the pics again;maybe thats not a CZ safe lever.if you try some others you may get one to work.have had to do that with a couple of mine. or you may need to change the cocking piece to get it working right. they're not a matched pair as is.

·
Registered
17,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep, already tried. Need to track down a czech safety lever.

just looked at the pics again;maybe thats not a CZ safe lever.if you try some others you may get one to work.have had to do that with a couple of mine. or you may need to change the cocking piece to get it working right. they're not a matched pair as is.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,190 Posts
Nice but it brings me back to being confused again. My rampant lion is in the white but yours is blued. Which is correct or are both correct?

·
Registered
17,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice but it brings me back to being confused again. My rampant lion is in the white but yours is blued. Which is correct or are both correct?
I was always under the impression that they were blued finish and not in the white from the factory. But i am no expert on these, just know enough to be dangerous.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,946 Posts
A D5 prefix serial number is almost certain to have been sold to Romania.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Only things 'in the white' on Czech VZ-24's were the bolt, butt plate, bayo lug, & recoil bolt, and the ID disk! I also think original cleaning rods were in the white.

I own D5 3597 which has been refurbished very similar to yours, which I believe to be arsenal done. However mine has a .202. stamped where acceptance date would normally be. Numbers match.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
How is stamped the bolt?, is one of the earliest production of slovakian plant in Povazska Bystrica, destined for export. So probably not ended in romanian contract. b.r.Andy

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,946 Posts
How is stamped the bolt?, is one of the earliest production of slovakian plant in Povazska Bystrica, destined for export. So probably not ended in romanian contract. b.r.Andy
Hi Andy,

The rifles listed below have been reported:

B5 3176 - E(lion)37 - lion crest
C5 622 - E(lion)37 - lion crest
C5 5834 - E(lion)37 - lion crest
D5 1009 - E(lion)39 - lion crest
D5 4572 - E(lion)39 - lion crest
D5 7146 - none - lion crest - subject rifle
D5 7302 - E(lion)38 - 1937 crest
E5 998 - none - crest scrubbed - Romanian used
F5 1534 - E(lion)38 - 1937 crest
F5 6327 - E(lion)38 - 1937 crest
F5 7528 - E(lion)38 - lion crest
G5 1003 - E(lion)39 – crest scrubbed, Romanian ?
G5 9127 - E(lion)38 - lion crest

Looking at the above dates, it seems that the subject rifle was intended for CS Army use (lion crest) but never accepted by the CS Army. The acceptance dates were clearly not in serial number sequence. The first Romanian contract used rifles that were both CS Army accepted and not. Also, in 1937-1939 the CS Army accepted rifles both with the lion crest and not - which were later sold to Romania in the first contract.

The 4363 L3 bolt in the subject rifle is from a 1935 VZ24, probably Spanish Civil War - which would mean the bolt was changed in the US.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.