Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were the VZ 24's ever re-barreled under contract? There is a decent looking VZ 24 on gun broker in factory furniture athat is .30-06... I was looking for a Columbian Model 1950 (.30-06) when I ran across this little rifle. If this could be legit, were there ever any problems with the VZ 24 after the upgrade?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
What country is it from, crests, markings? I can not imagine someone converting to '06 without further sporterizing it, strange things do happen tho. There is always the chance seller is incorrect on caliber. The VZ can certainly handle the '06 if it was done correctly. You will have to get answers from the seller. I am not aware of any country that converted these but that does not mean it didn't happen!

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,771 Posts
Colombia had some VZ24 rifles. They fed them into their rebuild grinder, along with all the other Mauser models, from which they emerged as .30-06 mixmasters. Need photos of markings to determine what the Gunbroker rifle is, or was.

Regards,
Bill

·
Administrator
10,012 Posts
Vz24 in .30/06--Colombia

Colombia had some VZ24 rifles. They fed them into their rebuild grinder, along with all the other Mauser models, from which they emerged as .30-06 mixmasters. Need photos of markings to determine what the Gunbroker rifle is, or was.

Regards,
Bill
Many 1930s (34-35) Vz24 for Colombia (7mm) were converted by FaMaGe in 1952 et seq., by simply reboring the 7mm barrel to .30 cal, and recutting the Chamber to .30/06., Other mods were done to "unify" the stocks to the "FN1950" design, (buttplates,top handguards, Bands and of course Magazine and cut in receiver for longer cartridge).

The only thing NOT changed was the original Vz24 invisible-sleeve front sight ( as in the Gew98) This was untouched. From the original Barrel Markings ( "34-xxx" and the front sight,) I have determined that a lot of Vz24s were so converted, as were M1912 (Steyr) M29 (Steyr) and M30 (FN). The other makers, having used the "big sleeve" front sight, are hardfer to distinguish, although some "Steyr-Solothurn" marked .30 cal Colombians have surfaced ( Steyr Solo.M1929 Model) I also Have a Colombian M29 ( complete) but in 7,9mm (Luftwaffe, 1938 conversion).

Doc AV

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,771 Posts
Many 1930s (34-35) Vz24 for Colombia (7mm) were converted by FaMaGe in 1952 et seq., by simply reboring the 7mm barrel to .30 cal, and recutting the Chamber to .30/06., Other mods were done to "unify" the stocks to the "FN1950" design, (buttplates,top handguards, Bands and of course Magazine and cut in receiver for longer cartridge).

The only thing NOT changed was the original Vz24 invisible-sleeve front sight ( as in the Gew98) This was untouched. From the original Barrel Markings ( "34-xxx" and the front sight,) I have determined that a lot of Vz24s were so converted, as were M1912 (Steyr) M29 (Steyr) and M30 (FN). The other makers, having used the "big sleeve" front sight, are hardfer to distinguish, although some "Steyr-Solothurn" marked .30 cal Colombians have surfaced ( Steyr Solo.M1929 Model) I also Have a Colombian M29 ( complete) but in 7,9mm (Luftwaffe, 1938 conversion).

Doc AV
The 34-xxxx serial numbers are M1929 Steyr.

The one on Gunbroker has some kind of a crest but it does not look like Colombian.

Regards,
Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.