Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come across a VZ-24 mauser with only the date of 1937 stamped on the receiver. I remember reading something about these being a contract for the Japanese but can not remember were I found that info. The gun only has the ser# stamped in 3 places barrel, receiver, and stock all matching. All other parts are either blank or have the circle Z stamp. The ser# is in the 48xxx range with no letter prefix. Could someone tell me if this is true about the Japanese contract VZ-24's and if so does this gun fit the description of one? I am considering purchasing this.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,412 Posts
So far all the japanese contract rifles with provenance have been "P" or "C" block. I think another clue maybe the absence of czech army acceptance marks, though this only would only mean the rifle was exported and could have gone any of a number of places.

·
Silver Bullet member
599 Posts
Would these markings apply to the 20,000 contract K98s that Mauser/Oberndorf provided to the Japanese in 1937?
There is a small blurp in the back of Richard Laws " Backbone of the Wermacht" but, for the most part, only official specifications and directives are provided.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,412 Posts
No, there was a separate contract to CZ for, IIRC, 40k rifles in 1939 (along with a bunch of ZB MGs and 7.9 ammunition). I know at that point czechoslovakia was oocupied by germany, but there is not actual evidence that i know of to suggest that the 2 contracts were intermingled or related. I believe there is a document stating that the contract to mauser oberndorf was filled in 1938, before the czech deal. It is practically impossible to actually link most of the existing "P" and "C" block rifles to the japanese. The czechs were prolific arms dealers and certainly had thousands upon thousands of their hotest seller, the vz24 in 7.9mm, in stock, ready to ship. This is speculation but could explain the 2 observed blocks on confirmed examples and the other rifles of similar block found and imported here from all corners of the globe.

·
Silver Bullet member
31,832 Posts
I have a 1937 "P" Series with a Czech military acceptance mark that came in with a bunch of others via Century Arms from Romania.

I think only the low-numbered ones went to Japan

·
Silver Bullet member
2,412 Posts
I really dont think its a simple as high number or low number. Highly doubtful these were shipped in any sort of serial number order. Trends may appear but I doubt any effort was extended beside "ship X number of rifles" Other than being serial numbered in order, i doubt they stayed that way through all the phases of production, inspection, proofing, packing, storing and shipping.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I believe the only two ways you can tell if a VZ 24 was used by the Japanese is if it has a Japanese marked sling (as below) or if you have capture papers from a Pacific theater vet with the rifle's serial number.

Sam

Attachments

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Jareth,

I don't have any VZ 24 bayonets with the Kanji mark. The bayonet that came with this VZ 24 did not have Kanji on the pommel between the grips. However, the top of the front of the blade had a false edge added, I assume by the Japanese, just like the false edge on the Navy Special bayonet. I got the VZ 24 and the accompanying bayonet from a non collector.

Sam

·
Registered
520 Posts
Here is my 1937 "C" block VZ. The C is only on the stock. Got this from a widow of a USArmy vet that served in the Pacific area during WWII. I would rate this one as unaltered, unrefinished and about 98% with some patinia on the bolt and buttplate. Bore is cherry. No sling or any special markings other than small CZ lion proofs on the receiver, bolt knob and bottom of the pistol grip.

·
Registered
21 Posts
RH Scott, another VZ C block, 49194, not quite as pristine as yours but still in superb condition. Non import marked with verbal history "came back with a pacific vet who had been in China, 3455 serial numbers away from your's. Interesting is that none of the C blocks I have seen have any acceptance mark, truly an "export" block of rifles. My P block VZ and the ones I have seen all have the E3 lion 38 acceptance mark which I would think meant an actual "contract" had been placed, but not filled until 1938 earliest. Threw in a few marked VZ bayos as well.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,942 Posts
My Chinese P series VZ24 has no Czech acceptance mark. I suspect those which did have the mark stayed in Europe and were later imported from Romania.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Haak and Geladen, intersting observations we all have, your P series 3361 is in much better condition than my late P series, I have never seen a serial that low, very nice rifle, matching? The E3 lion 38 acceptance marked P blocks I observed all had high serial numbers, if I were to guess at my memory 40K to 60K. So, with Czech acceptance they stayed in Europe, that would rule out mine as Japanese. Has anyone determined the Japanese order serial number range?

·
Silver Bullet member
2,412 Posts
I dont think there was a "serial range" per se. As much as we might like there to be, there is just too little information and few rifles with solid provenance to get a vague idea. As the rifles were pulled from at least 2 different blocks there is little to give one reason to think that rifles were sold in any sort of serial number order from between rifle xxxxx and rifle yyyyyy. However I could be wrong, perhaps some one with more interest in this game start collecting info on provenanced rifles and see if a pattern forms.
My rifle(no provenance, no import marks) is P42457 no acceptance lion marks. Bolt mismatched from P63403

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,575 Posts
I have two P series. Neither have provenance. I am drawing a blank on my first one's serial number. However, I just bought one this past weekend at a local VFW show. Sn# 5199, mismatched bolt, with rod and a pretty nice kanji marked sling, which is why I bought it. I'll post photos once I get her cleaned up a little. Good thread.

Z

1 - 20 of 50 Posts