Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,946 Posts
All Czech bayonets (except VZ16/33) and all WWII German and Polish bayonets fit the standard (long) bayonet lug found on the VZ98, VZ98/22, VZ23, VZ23a, VZ24, K98k, and WZ29 (and many other) rifles.

The VZ24 rifle was only a minor change from the VZ23 rifle and the only things that changed from the VZ23 were the stock, handguard, and stock hardware. The bayonet lugs remained the same, although the VZ23 used the VZ23 Long bayonet and the VZ24 used the VZ24 bayonet. The was also a VZ23a (M block s/n) rifle in between the VZ23 and VZ24 rifles which added a removable sight bed on the rear sight (for different calibers). That remained on the VZ24. Caution: You can find VZ23 actions put into VZ24 replacement stocks. That does not make the rifle a VZ24: it makes it a VZ23 action in a VZ24 stock.

Rifle serial number blocks
VZ23: D through L blocks (D shared with VZ98/22), VZ23a M block, VZ24 N block and later.

How do you ID a VZ23 action? Look at the block letter prefix on the s/n.

VZ23 (and VZ23a)

VZ24

VZ23 Short bayonet for VZ98/22 rifle

VZ23 Long bayonet for VZ23 rifle

VZ24 bayonet for VZ24 rifle

VZ12/33 bayonet for Czech VZ12/33 Carbine only, carbine later modified to German G33/40 Carbine which then took the VZ24 bayonet with muzzle ring removed or the German M84/98III bayonet (common for K98k rifle and others)

·
15,946 Posts
geladen, a font of clear and useful knowledge, as always, thank you.
We aim to please (and sometimes miss). :)

El Supremo, .45 ACP custom build (by myself), AMT Hardballer Long Slide barrel and slide on Para Ordinance frame with Pro Point red dot sight (non telescopic). And other custom goodies.

·
15,946 Posts
All of those hits count, geladen...
At 100 yards with a .45 pistol, I would hope so. :)

That was in 1993 - time flies. I still have the pistol, just like in the photo. I also have a LARGE shoulder holster for it. The satin nickel Colt Combat Commander is my "never leave my side" pistol. It is the same as a 1911A1 except the barrel and slide are 3/4 in. shorter. I have 3 aftermarket 8 round clips for it (standard is 7 round). El Supremo clips are double stack.

I just realized that this is the bayonet (not pistol) forum. Here are some bayonets:

Bayonets for rifles in gun cabinets are on the wall. Those for rifles stacked outside of cabinets are on the rifles.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
What about showing off a Lazerlyte bayonet mounted to your 1911? That would put things back on track nice and righteous. :cool:

100 yards? Very good. Using a Standard RI 45 I thought I had bragging rights by consistently clanging a disposable helium tank at 50. Wouldnt have so impressive at 100.
Shhhh! I hope none of my shooting friends are reading this thread-

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
So that is probably not fully right, the Vz23 short and long bayonet were serialed with rifle, so the dimmension of rifle slot and adapter are to each adjusted, it could be that similar bayonets could be not easy attached on any Gew98 rifle, or are little lousy, since 1925 there was 90% interchangeability of parts, so the tolerance system is so made that the bayonets dont need any serialing.

·
15,946 Posts
Andy is correct, as always. VZ23 Short and VZ23 Long bayonets were serialed to the rifles and would not necessarily fit on every bayonet lug. Things got better with time and the VZ24 bayonet but, as Andy said, "there was 90% interchangeability of parts". The potential for problems is even worse when you, for example, try to mount a Spanish M1943* bayonet on a Polish WZ29 rifle. I have more than once had to take a file to a bayonet lug to make the bayonet fit.

*often incorrectly labeled M1936

(I pay Andy $10 per month to correct my errors). ;)

·
15,946 Posts
I'm sure he makes more money on a monthly subscription than if he was paid per error.
Thank you, that was a nice compliment. It helps to make up for hours 'wasted' on the keyboard.
(Most of what I know about odd bayonets I learned from Andy).

·
15,946 Posts
What about showing off a Lazerlyte bayonet mounted to your 1911? That would put things back on track nice and righteous. :cool:

100 yards? Very good. Using a Standard RI 45 I thought I had bragging rights by consistently clanging a disposable helium tank at 50. Wouldnt have so impressive at 100.
Shhhh! I hope none of my shooting friends are reading this thread-
I would never use a laser sight. That puts a dot of bright light on the bad guy but it also puts a dot of bright light on you for the bad guy to aim at (and he doesn't have to pay for a laser sight). I do have tritium night sights on the Commander. On the rare occasion that my wife and I refer to the Commander, we call it "Sam" (for Samuel Colt).

I had three witnesses sign that target for good reason. The target now hangs on the back side of the door to my 'museum'.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
I would never use a laser sight. That puts a dot of bright light on the bad guy but it also puts a dot of bright light on you for the bad guy to aim at (and he doesn't have to pay for a laser sight). I do have tritium night sights on the Commander. On the rare occasion that my wife and I refer to the Commander, we call it "Sam" (for Samuel Colt).

I had three witnesses sign that target for good reason. The target now hangs on the back side of the door to my 'museum'.
I had to look it up again to be certain.
Laserlyte offered an actual bayonet which could be affixed to a pistol. :) oh well...

For what its worth, I never want any battery operated sight on any of my weapons which includes bows. Used Aimpoints in the past. Batteries can go dead at inopportune times.
Tritium sights I like. For my 'dawn & dusk' stuff I just slapped some Fire Sights on them.

But seriously, the bayonet had a short blade and would clamp to the frame or a rail.
A gimmick IMHO.
A Webley-Pritchart bayonet....now that's a different story. It does fit on a 45 handgun though!

·
15,946 Posts
Laserlyte offered an actual bayonet which could be affixed to a pistol. :) oh well...

For what its worth, I never want any battery operated sight on any of my weapons which includes bows. Used Aimpoints in the past. Batteries can go dead at inopportune times.
Tritium sights I like. For my 'dawn & dusk' stuff I just slapped some Fire Sights on them.

But seriously, the bayonet had a short blade and would clamp to the frame or a rail.
A gimmick IMHO.
A Webley-Pritchart bayonet....now that's a different story. It does fit on a 45 handgun though!

My backup(s) instead of a bayonet

I am still wanting to get a pair of suspenders with a holster on each side at the bottom. :)

·
15,946 Posts
:)

A gimmick IMHO.
Note that my battery powered sight is on El Supremo, not on my carry gun (Sam).

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Cop friend of mind carried one of those off duty in the early 80s. I shot it a few times but preferred my own IJ Pony in 380. Sorry I let someone talk me out of it.
The only AMT I had was the Automag ll. Must admit liking the 45 Hardballer and...oh, whatever they called their Ruger 22 clone.
None of them had bayonet fittings though. ;)

·
15,946 Posts
Cop friend of mind carried one of those off duty in the early 80s. I shot it a few times but preferred my own IJ Pony in 380. Sorry I let someone talk me out of it.
The only AMT I had was the Automag ll. Must admit liking the 45 Hardballer and...oh, whatever they called their Ruger 22 clone.
None of them had bayonet fittings though. ;)
Here you go:
(not mine)

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We've gone off topic, but so what? The only battery-operated thing I have attached to any weapon is the illuminated reticle on my hunting rifle. Without it, I miss the first 15 minutes of legal sunrise time, and quittin' time comes 15 minutes too early. My glass is fantastic at seeing downrange in those very low light conditions, but clearly picking up the reticle in that very low light is harder for my eye at this age.

·
15,946 Posts
We've gone off topic, but so what? The only battery-operated thing I have attached to any weapon is the illuminated reticle on my hunting rifle. Without it, I miss the first 15 minutes of legal sunrise time, and quittin' time comes 15 minutes too early. My glass is fantastic at seeing downrange in those very low light conditions, but clearly picking up the reticle in that very low light is harder for my eye at this age.
That might be good for sniper duty, too.

Another option: Night vision scope

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.