Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently aquired one of these rifle in excellent condition. It seems to be a variation of the Mosin Nagant but is much higher quality and finish than a military rifle. It is set up to use Mosin stripper clips, has a 28" barrel and target front and rear apature sights.

If anyone has any info on this rifle/cartridge, I would appreciate hearing from you. Load information, history, etc.

Thanks.....Brian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup....the thmbnail as posted by ij70 is the rifle. The one I have does not have the hooked butt, appears to have been replaced with a standard recoil pad. I can send photos to anyone who provides an e-mail address.....can't figure out how to post photos here.

Brian

·
Banned
10,845 Posts
Yup....the thmbnail as posted by ij70 is the rifle. The one I have does not have the hooked butt, appears to have been replaced with a standard recoil pad. I can send photos to anyone who provides an e-mail address.....can't figure out how to post photos here.

Brian
Click on the thumbnail to enlarge the photo.

I am going to Private Massage my e-mail, sent a photo to me and I will post it for you.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I reload for this round. Neck size 7.62x54r cases to 6.5mm and use heavy 6.5mm bullets.
You will have to use an intermediate neck sizing die, a 7mm one, to size the cases down without crushing them. Also, you will absolutely have to turn the neck thickness down with a neck turning tool, before annealing. Otherwise, the neck thickness will be too great to load the round into the chamber. And if you don't anneal the cases after forming they will split after one or two firings.
There is no published reloading data, try using starting loads for 6.5mm Mauser--I least ,that is what I do. This is NOT the same round as the 6.3x53r listed in the old Finnish reloading books--that was a .25 caliber wildcat.
My rifle likes heavy 6.5mm bullets--140, 142, 155, and is very accurate. I've had it since 2000 and have fired it hundreds of times.
The Soviet biathlon loading was a 160gr. .265" FMJBT bullet at 2400 fps. I know that for a fact as I have chronographed the load.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ummmm....so FGD .....
Does this mean he cant goto Wally World and buy Winchester White Box Ammo for his rifle

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Very true, this is strictly a wildcat cartridge these days!
My rifle came with 3 twenty-round boxes of original Soviet 6.5x54r Biathlon ammo, in that funky cheap Soviet cardboard. Two of the boxes were sealed, and still are, but I've shot up and/or disassembled the rounds from the one open box. Ammo was all headstamped 188, (1960s date but I can't remember exactly), and is brass cased, berdan primed. ALL of the Berdan primers pierced when fired! Must've been very brittle with age. Rounds are 160 grains, fmj-bt, measured .265"; the very loooong bullet takes up considerable space, given the relatively short OAL of the round, which is the same as the service cartridge in 7.62x54r. IIRC, there was about 34-36 grains of powder in the case.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Thanks, I've never seen one with a 4 digit number.
BTW, that rear sight adjustment is 5 clicks per MOA.
Have you tried the trigger adjustments yet? Very sweet.
Current Vostok (Izhmazh) front sight inserts for the .22 biathlon rifles will also fit this rifle. Not sure if the Anschutz inserts fit.
To use a handstop, if yours doesn't have the original Soviet one, you may have to use a shim to get it to properly lock. I had to shim an Anschutz handstop.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It says "Biatlon 6,5r-549" on the top of the receiver, so my guess is that it's "Biathlon 6.5 Rimmed - number 549"

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Man! That is a dream acquisition! I would love to get my hands on one of those! Nice find!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
BTW, any cartridge info you could post (like case length, shoulder angle, etc.) would be SUPER cool.

Again, awesome rifle.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Very nice rifle. Finally, I have found a target rifle in a style I like!! (actually I like them all, but I like Mosins more)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts