Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some photos of the Japanese items on display at the Virginia War Museum in Newport News VA. Worth a trip if you are within a couple of hours!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Very nice. I am surprised to see all these small museums. Once I was at the submarine museum in Manitowoc, WI and saw a lone Japanese Type 99 LMG in the middle of the floor. Pretty cool.
There is a small Japanese display at the Elliott Museum on Hutchison Island, Jensen Beach FL.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,012 Posts
Very nice displays! I see they have the two bayonet variations that Doss recommends! I'd really like to visit there sometime. Thanks for the photos!

·
Silver Bullet member
15,573 Posts
Really well done, losts of stuff in there; including two different rifle grenade launchers.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Are the written displays accurate? It appears that way, nice layout and lots of stuff, I'll have to try and make it there if I'm in the area.

ed

·
Registered
477 Posts
Whoever put those displays together knew their stuff. I wonder if, back in the day, it was easier to get Japanese weapons for museum displays since so many considered them "junk" and didn't want them? If so, it was great while it lasted. Much harder to find these items at "junk" prices these days.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Unlike many museums, they seem to have done a fine job with their displays. If you get a chance you might want to thank them.

Frank

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Back in the late 70s when I was in grad school, the university library had a very small museum upstairs in the attic area. Among the items in their display collection were the first two Japanese rifles I'd ever handled: a T-38 and a T-99. Years later and after I'd begun collecting Japanese arms, I took a vacation in the area, hoping to handle them once again. Unfortunately, the museum had closed. Wonder where these rifles are today.

C/

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,012 Posts
They are probably manhole covers or rebar now.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are a couple of very minor problems (a chinese parade sword marked as Japanese and a couple of issues between a number on a rifle and the corresponding number on the "information sheet"), but overall one of the best displays I have run across for volume and correct Japanese stuff. In the German section they also have Joachim Peiper's Panzer tunic, one of Sepp Dietrich's uniforms and a very rare MP-41 on display.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts