Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys: I'm fairly new to guns and own 2 hand guns. Is it legal to carry a gun in a locked glove box in Virginia? With no Concealed Carry Permit?
If not I guess they have to be in a locked trunk??
I searched online for the answer but found nothing definite.
Thanks for any help......

·
Registered
603 Posts
In Texas, it only gets complicated IF you get the Concealed Handgun License.

Without CHL, you can have nearly any gun that you legally own in the car that you own (mobile castle :D) if it is out of sight.

With CHL, you are under its legal requirements:

• NSA (revolver only) CHL would be in trouble if a friend left a semi-auto pistol that requires the SA CHL if the LEO determines that the hiden gun was accessible in the glovebox--or even in locked box under the seat
  • CHL cannot have exposed pistol, even if your hunting buddies all have their big game revolvers holstered on the hip out in the woods
But then, CHL does have its advantages.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,826 Posts
Might be a good idea to go to your state's State Police web site, check on CCW laws.
IIRC VA requires the firearm to be unloaded and stored "out of reach" of the driver if one does not have a CCW permit. Each state is different, better be sure than sorry.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
63H20

Good idea about checking the VA Police website. I did though and find the laws very confusing and no direct reference to carrying a pistol in the glove box.
What is IIRC VA? Is this the law in VA. that you can carry a gun if it is out of reach and unloaded?
Thanks guys for the help....

·
Registered
272 Posts
In VA, you had better have a carry permit if you want to keep a gun in the glove box. You can keep a gun on the front seat or on the dash board without a permit (in plain sight as another poster said), but not in the glove box, under the seat, or anywhere else you can access it while driving.

PS. I almost never carry, but I have a VA permit for the reason you mention. If I get stopped by Barney Fife, on a day when he's feeling his Cherios while I have a range bag with a loaded gun (condition 3) on the back or front seat, I don't want there to be any question about the legality of my actions.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,826 Posts
Since "Packing.org" is no more it is more difficult finding access to the states CCW statues, laws, regulations ECT.
I still have a VA CCW permit that expires in 2011, problem is I'm a GA resident now and have a GA CCW. As I type this I'm in a RV park near Roanoke, VA. Would I dare carry in VA, H**l no. I'm not a resident nor is my permit for a "non-resident". Each state requires different "hoops" to be jumped through in obtaining a CCW. Almost each state has reciprocity agreements with other states concerning CCW permits being "valid" in the other state. IIRC FL. is the record with their CCW permits being "valid" in othe states.
VA will not honor GA CCW since the records of GA CCW permits are held by the "local LEO" instead of a central state facility..........go figure
All of it is a "States Rights" issue, IMHO CCW permits should be like drivers licenses.....good in any state.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Howdy Ld1
Check these guys out, they are very knowledgeable
as far as Va carry laws go.
VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org

Chipmunk6

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.