Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PHOTOS ADDED 10/25/07 Thanks Mkgr22! SEE Post # 10

Can anyone out there help me identify a very early Stevens tube feed 10 shot bolt action .22? Years made and model number would be great. I will do my best to describe it.
The barrel is marked J.Stevens Arms Co. Chicopee Falls Mass.U.S.A. Close to the receiver it is marked Trade mark STEVENS Reg.U.S.PAT.& FGN. 22 short - long or long rifle. There is a circle with the number 20 stamped on the receiver and on the barrel.
The rifle is a take down model. Some unique features are a curved steel butt plate, a rocker style safety, and the bolt body does not rotate, only the bolt handle.
The magazine tube is fastened to the bolt body. When the bolt is cycled the magazine tube moves rearward with the bolt! The rifle is in very good +++ condition with an excellent bore. Any ideas?
Thanks, 6.5x55=MOA

·
Silver Bullet member
3,417 Posts
It's funny, but I never heard of a rifle with a moving magazine like you described until I read your post yesterday, then I saw one just like it at a small local shop last evening.
The only similar rifle I could find in any of my books was an exploded diagram of a Stevens model 46 in my Numrich catalog. It appears to have the moving mag, but is a newer model with a flat, plastic buttplate.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mkgr22,
Thanks for the info. I was begining to think that I would not get any feed back on this rifle.
This is the first one that I have seen like this also. I am guessing that it is one of Stevens earliest tube feed repeating bolt action .22's. I have a dial up system and have not been successful attaching photos. I can email them if someone needs photos to help identify it.

Thanks, 6.5x55 MOA

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sounds like model 66 to me. Probably a later 066.
The early model 66's had a knob on the back of te bolt, similiar to early single shot .22. While the rifle cocked on opening, the knob was to de-cock/re-cock the rifle and basically acted as the safety.
Pic would help positive ID.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Fatstrat,
You may be right on the early model 66. This one does have the cocking knob like the old single shots. If you PM me your email I will send you some photos.
Do you know anywhere that I could look to find any literature or photos of a model 66?
Thanks, 6.5x55 MOA

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the leads. That model is close but not quite the same. My magazine tube only extends about three inches in front of the forearm. My magazine tube support is hidden inside the stock. It is not visable like the one in the photo. Mine has a curved steel butt plate but the one in the photo has a plastic one.
Please keep the information coming this is getting personal! I cannot believe we can find more written information on foreign arms than we can on older USA made arms.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Boy ain't that the truth. Part of it is because A. There was a fire at the Stevens Factory that destroyed many records. B. Savage "reportedly" dumped all/most/some of the old remaining records back in the 1960's. At any rate, unlike Winchester or Remington, Savage Inc. is of absolutely NO HELP for info on their older guns. C. Up until fairly recently there wasn't much collector interest in most old Stevens made .22's. Apparently too late to get any factory help. And D. I think that alot of people (w/the exception of milsurp collectors) have forgotten (or are too young to know) what a Godsend the internet is to gun collectors. At first people were eager to share info. Nowdays it seems (to me) that many are too lazy to get off their butts and look in their references or at their guns to try to help someone. I saw and replied to your post @ Rimfirecentral as well. The only reply I believe. Sadly those folks are generally of not much help on the older guns.
Anyway, Your model 66 sounds like the early variation as mine is. You can view one (just like mine) @ Auctionarms #8235272.
These were made from 1931-35 (as per The Gun Traders guide). There was the "plain jane" model,and a "Buckhorn" model w/rear Peep/target front sights. The Model 066 was made from 1935-48 w/both plain and Buckhorn models and had a redesigned bolt. Values run about $50-$100. on pretty much anything shootable (Fair-Gd). The better the condition the higher the value. Perhaps $150-$175 on VG or EX condition.
I will caution you about one thing that I not only have experienced w/mine, but have heard several other reports of. The sear engagement doesn't seem very positive. Especially on well used specimens. And operating the bolt quickly/forcefully when chambering a round has been known to cause accidental discharges. (When one shoves the bolt closed, the gun goes off.)
So when handling the Model 66, I would advise: A. Safe gun handling technics (as always!). B. When chambering a round, close the bolt slowly and deliberately.
For anyone w/more than a passing interest in old .22's or guns in general, I'd recomend picking up "The Gun Traders Guide". Sold at most Wal Mart's in the Sporting Goods section for $20.'ish. You may be able to get an outdated one cheaper on the auction websites.
There are more complete Value guides, but IMO this book offers the more in terms of descriptions and dates of MFG. I personally don't pay alot of attention to published "gun values", so even an outdated Traders Guide can still be helpfull for descriptions/dates of MFG.
There is also a "Savage/Stevens Collectors History" book by Jay Kimmel available. Goes a little deeper than the "Gun Traders Guide", but IMO just barely. Mostly just reprints of old Savage/Stevens catalog pages.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fatstrat,
After viewing the one on auction arms I do not believe that mine is a model 66. I am still trying to figure out how to attach photos. I have a Kodak Easy Share and cannot seem to get my photos small enough for Gunboards to accept. I will keep working on them!

·
Silver Bullet member
3,417 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm holding my Model 66 right here and that definantly appears to be the M66 action (reciever & bolt.) With the "old style" cocking knob. Plus the M66 is the only rifle I'm aware of that has the moving magizine tube.
But w/a couple of differences. The most important being that yours appears to have a Safety where there is no need of one. And appears to have a longer stock, which probably accounts for the shorter "looking" mag tube. I'd bet the mag tube is the same length as the "usual" M66. If you take the barreled action out of the stock, does it have a hidden loading port? Please post some pics w/o the stock of the safety and mag tube. IMO it still appears some kind of M66 variant. The longer stock could be a replacement. But I'm curious as to see if the safety looks original. Also, on the left rear of the reciever, does it have 2 vertical grooves w/a screw hole? This would be for a receiver peep sight. Not all M66's had it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Vintage Stevens

Fatstrat,
The magazine tube on this rifle does not have a loading port. The inter tube must be completely removed to load the rifle. The magazine tube is 12" long and holds only 10 rounds. There are no holes for a receiver peep sight. The barrel is 22" long. I took some more photos but still can not post them.
Thanks, 6.5x55 MOA

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well you've definantly got something I haven't seen before. The triggers and under receiver action is different than my M66. Yet the reciever, bolt and "type" of action (Mag tube moves) is the same.
I'm inclined to think that your rifle is not in original configuration.
I think you have a later Model 066 action, which does include a safety, w/an earlier Model 66 bolt. Does the safety actually work?
The 066 has a more modern type of bolt w/o the old single shot style bolt knob for cocking/decocking. And that someone has shortened the mag tube & barrel. It is cetainly not a "standard" model 66 or 066 which has 24" barrel. And the 066 should hold 15 .22LR rounds and M66 should hold 13.
The best place I can point you to from here is the Savage Corporate website. While they don'y offer ANY info on their older guns (made by different ownership). They do have info about contacting an indepenent Savage/Stevens "historian". Who for a fee will research your gun. You have to contact him by mail and I think his usual charge is $25. Send him your pics and a detailed description. (I'll look it up and post his contact info later)
Who knows, maybe you've some rare oddball variant. A shooting gallery model or something.
The best I can tell you is that IMO you have what appears to be some kind of oddball M-66/M-066 mutant.
Sorry to not be of more help. Info on these old Stevens is sketchy and your's is definantly does not appear to be a standard model.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Vintage Stevens

Fatstrat,
The safety is indeed functional it is a very positive trigger block safety. The safety is simular to the second model Sheridan pellet rifle. It wraps around the receiver and rocks or rotates to block the trigger. I do believe this rifle to be an origional and not modified, but if it was modified someone did a very good job of it. I will keep searching and hopefully someone will have some answers.
I do indeed enjoy collecting these old rifles but half of the fun is trying to find out just what you have bought!
Thanks for your help and a special thanks to mkgr22 for posting my pictures.
6.5x55 MOA

·
Registered
249 Posts
John T. Callahan
Savage Arms Historian
53 Old Quarry Rd.
Westfield, Ma. 01085
$20. for Stevens inquiries.
Send Serial # (if any) and details.
Good luck and let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Vintage Stevens

Fatstrat,
I have not yet contacted John T. Callahan on this yet. I guess that I just hate to spend the $20 bucks to find out. I guess that I will have to if I am to find out anything on this rifle. I have been searching everywhere that I can and still have found nothing on this model.
I will post my findings when I come up with something.
Thanks, 6,5x55 MOA

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hang tight a few weeks. I bought today (on Gunbrokers) a Stevens 1934 parts catalog reprint. It reportedly has complete details component parts diagrams for many old Stevens guns. Included are several apparent model 66 variations that I have not been aware of. Model 66, 066, 66B, 066B, 66C, 066C.
Lets see if any of those match what I see in your pics.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Vintage Stevens

Fatstrat,
Thanks again, I will be anxious to see if there is anything listed there. I also have been searching old catalogs and such. I figure that will be the only chance to find it. I do not know what year Stevens made their first bolt action magazine tube feed repeters. I still believe this is a very early model with the steel butt plate. NEVER GIVE UP!
6.5x55 MOA

1 - 20 of 28 Posts