Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found a clip of vintage soft point Steyr M95 8x50mm ammo.
Actually I suspect these cartridges were civilian ammo for hunting purpose even if the headstamp is military style.
All of the cartridges are 1904 dated.

Any opinion?

Warmest regards.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
The case was made by G. Roth, who had factories in Vienna, Pressburg and Lichtenwoth, in 1904

In the 1950s, a lot of 8x50R on the US surplus market had their bullets pulled and replaced with soft points to make "hunting" ammo. Those that I have fired had, what appeared to be, 170 gr. Remchester bullets which are undersized for the M.88/90/95 weapons and the accuracy was very bad.

The bullets on your ammo do not appear to be Amercian soft points. Have you weighed one and miked it yet?

According to Josef Moetz's excellent book, there were several guard cartridges (Wachpatronen) and riflemans' cartridges (Schutzenpatronen) that were featured soft point, or what appeared to be, soft pointed bullets which were intended for guard duty or target practice. Some of the Wachpatronen had a thin steel jacket and a sectioned lead core which was designed to break up upon impact and create a buckshot effect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts