Gunboards Forums banner
8541 - 8560 of 8964 Posts

·
Administrator
57,927 Posts
Japanese-Americans

Japanese-Americans

Description

Three GIs of the U.S. Army's 442nd Regimental Combat Team, composed almost entirely of American soldiers of Japanese descent who fought in World War II., pass a broken down German - French production - Zugkraftwagen P107 U304 (Unic-Kégresse P107) in Bruyeres, France.
During World War II, the Germans used these captured half-tracks extensively under the name Leichter Zugkraftwagen 37. With German half-tracks in short supply, Major Alfred Becker of the 21. Panzer division (which in 1944 was stationed near Caen in Normandy) suggested converting captured French vehicles. He ordered the conversion of several hundred Unic half-tracks into U304 light armored personnel carriers.

·
Administrator
57,927 Posts
Long Tom

Long Tom

Description

American 155-mm field gun M1 "Long Tom" firing on German troops in the Ardennes. - Battle of the Bulge...

Recent comments
  • PillboxPaul (Wed 05 Feb 2014 02:54:34 AM EST)
    Magnificent photo.
  • batompson (Tue 04 Feb 2014 11:43:33 AM EST)
    show summary
    The temp of the surface means nothing about the temp at 10, 20, 30, or 40 thousand feet. some of the "warmest" days up at altitude are during the coldest of days on the ground. also..extremely cold on the ground is warm for 30000 feet..i would say those are from a fighters in the upper 20's to low 30's.
  • ThunderboltFan (Mon 03 Feb 2014 11:01:51 PM EST)
    show summary
    There are circular condensation trails in the sky which are probably from orbiting artillery spotting aircraft. Normally, these aircraft wouldn't leave a vapour trail but in these extremely cold conditions, condensation would occur at much lower altitudes than normal.

·
Administrator
57,927 Posts
Armored Graveyard

Armored Graveyard

Description

A graveyard of Panzer IV's ,Panthers and Armored Vehicles collected by the us army

Recent comments
  • Aussiefrog (Thu 04 Jul 2013 03:11:19 AM EDT)
    show summary
    I once read that the Norman scrap metal workers didn't finish removing/cutting up the last hulks until the early 70s! Luckily the Saumur Tank museum saved many of these -and maintains many in running condition. Types it had several units of (Jagdpanzer IV/48 for example) it has even traded with other museums (Munster) for other, sometimes non WW2, equipment.
  • Cubo (Wed 03 Jul 2013 11:33:22 PM EDT)
    I would love to have had the chance to have a good look over this lot. France somewhere i suspect.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
tacfoley2, I think east bank, was referring that during WWII the British Army had all black units that had white officers, like the 81st & 82nd West African Divisions from Nigeria as well as the 11th East African Division, and the 22 & 28th East African Brigades, most of whom fought under the 14th Army (The Forgotten Army) in Burma, not a comment on the current (Post 1950ish) British Army. John

·
Silver Bullet member
5,471 Posts
tacfoley2, I think east bank, was referring that during WWII the British Army had all black units that had white officers, like the 81st & 82nd West African Divisions from Nigeria as well as the 11th East African Division, and the 22 & 28th East African Brigades, most of whom fought under the 14th Army (The Forgotten Army) in Burma, not a comment on the current (Post 1950ish) British Army. John
Of course, colonial troops would have been raised in the country of origin. As such, they were NOT subjects in the way that a person born and living in England is/was termed a subject. By far the largest contributing nation to the Allied forces in WW2 was India, both in the Western desert and in the Far East. None of them were British subjects living in the UK, collected together and made into a unit. They already existed as an Army. However, the US government actively collected black American citizens and made units out of the collection. This also too place in WW1, where much of the supply infrastructure of the AEF was based on black labour - loading and unloading and even driving and managing the supply trains themselves - as well has having to build the lines in the first place.

America, with its huge black population, even back then, could easily put together a few battalions of black-only troops. The UK never had the huge numbers of black people - former slaves - and their descendants to call on for anything. In 1940, almost two years before the USA joined the war, there were 14.1 Million black people in the USA.

By way of contrast, not until the SS Windrush arrived in 1948 was there any significant number of black people - that is to say Afro-Caribbean in origin in the UK. By the end of that year, there were still LESS than 20,000 black people, mainly single men, or married men who had left their families behind. Women and children arrived somewhat later.

Until the arrival of the 'SS Windrush', a ship packed with Caribbean immigrants to UK, black people were quite a rare sight in UK.

·
Administrator
57,927 Posts
Honorary MP

Honorary MP

Description

A homeless orphan until "adopted" by the GIs, this Italian youngster proudly wears his new outfit of modified Army issue as he directs traffic through the town of San Vittore, Italy (Anzio front) in his new job - honorary MP.

·
Administrator
57,927 Posts
Commanders

Commanders

Description

Lieutenant General George S. Patton, Jr. (right), commander of the U.S. Seventh Army, at the Royal Palace in Palermo with his rival, General Bernard L. Montgomery (center), commander of the British Eighth Army, and Major General Geoffrey Keyes, Patton’s deputy.

·
Administrator
57,927 Posts
Past ancient ruins

Past ancient ruins

Description

U.S. infantrymen push past the Temple of Neptune at Paestum, center of the American sector during the landings around Salerno Bay, Italy. Still the grandest complex of Doric temples outside Athens, Paestum had been a 6th century B.C. Greek colony, famed in antiquity for roses and violets.

·
Administrator
57,927 Posts
Generals

Generals

Description

Major General Terry de la Mesa Allen (left) commander of the 1st Infantry Division, studies a map with Lieutenant General Omar N. Bradley, commander of the U.S. II Corps. Censors have inked out a landmark between the two to avoid pinpointing their location in Sicily.

·
Administrator
57,927 Posts
Theodore Roosevelt, Jr.

Theodore Roosevelt, Jr.

Description

Brigadier General Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., assistant commander of the 1st Infantry Division during the invasion of Sicily, shown here with his jeep in January 1944. An admirer described him with four adjectives: “Bald, burnt, gnarled, and wrinkled.”

Recent comments
  • lee r christensen (Tue 25 Jun 2013 12:44:45 PM EDT)
    If the date, January 1944 is correct the General is probably in Italy where he served following his dismissal as asst div commander 1st Inf Div and before going to England to serve in the 4th Inf Div as asst div commander.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
#8547. - With the arrival of the Americans during WW2, a few coloured children started to appear. At the time my mother was pregnant with my sister and, with coloured children being a novelty, my brother and I suggested to Mom it would be nice if she had one. She found our enthusiasm amusing.

·
Administrator
57,927 Posts
Horse soldiers

Horse soldiers

Description

US Cavalry at Anzio - 3rd Recon. Troop (prov.) taking part in an action with US Rangers at the town of Cisterna, Italy

·
Administrator
57,927 Posts
Unloading

Unloading

Description

Unloading vehicles and supplies from an LST (landing ship, tank) at Normandy beachhead, summer 1944.

Recent comments
  • ThunderboltFan (Fri 21 Jun 2013 04:04:11 AM EDT)
    The trailers behind the trucks contain one of the most basic requirements for the troops ashore. Fresh water.

·
Administrator
57,927 Posts
ver Here ...

Over Here ...

Description

US infantrymen march down the Avenue des Champs-Elysees, Paris, 1944. JR.

Recent comments
  • Hammer (Sun 23 Jun 2013 07:15:59 PM EDT)
    A little heaven before the hell of Huertgen
  • lee r christensen (Fri 14 Jun 2013 01:03:01 PM EDT)
    As I once told a friend "The parade thru Paris with its wine , women and DeGaulle was the 28th Divisions ultimate non combat experience"
  • John Rutledge (Fri 14 Jun 2013 10:39:56 AM EDT)
    Hurtgen Forest ? I only hope they enjoyed Paris in the meantime ... Thanks for the info, as always, FtG. JR.
  • flamethrowerguy (Fri 14 Jun 2013 10:27:27 AM EDT)
    28th Infantry Division, straight towards Hurtgen Forest...

·
Administrator
57,927 Posts
American StuG III

American StuG III

Description

Pvt. Bruce W. Coultrane and S/Sgt. Cloy B. Barton of the 104th Infantry Division operating a captuerd StuG Ausf. G with concrete armor

Recent comments
  • Nickdfresh (Thu 13 Jun 2013 10:06:34 AM EDT)
    Captured T-34's were often draped with the Nazi flag over the engine block as a signal to the Luftwaffe not to kill them...
  • John Rutledge (Thu 13 Jun 2013 05:29:15 AM EDT)
    show summary
    Always a risk with using captured vehicles. The Germans, who were particularly keen on this sort of "recycling", seldom failed to ensure that the captured vehicle was well decorated with large black crosses to minimise the problem. However, I suspect that, for example, crewing a captured Sherman Firefly in Normandy would not have been the most comfortable assignment in the German forces ... JR.
  • history3945 (Tue 11 Jun 2013 01:15:59 PM EDT)
    Would not want to be a Yank in any requisitioned German armor regardless of olive drab coat and white star- instinct would be for any allied armor/aircraft/antitank weapon to shoot first based on the profile and ask questions later!
  • DieGrosseSchlag (Tue 11 Jun 2013 06:53:10 AM EDT)
    "Tarnscheinwerfer" = literally camouflaged headlight. This was also known as a "Notek" blackout or night driving light seen on many types of vehicles.
  • DieGrosseSchlag (Tue 11 Jun 2013 05:00:56 AM EDT)
    show summary
    "This late Stug III, Ausf. G being driven by troops of the US 104th Infantry Division, represents the final production type. Not many StuG IIIs received the layer of concrete as shown here. Note the schurzen brackets on the mudguard, the travel lock and the base for the "tarnscheinwerfer." An interesting variation is the use of an MP44 assault rifle in the remote-control mount in place of the usual MG34. (Photo Credit: US Army Signal Corps) That was the caption that described the photo on page 49 of "Sturmgeschutz In Action" by Bruce Culver, Squadron/Signal Publications, Warren, Michigan, USA - 1976.

·
Administrator
57,927 Posts
Mouth of death

Mouth of death

Description

US GI's inspecting the bunker busting Sturmtiger (assault gun).
Sturmtiger in action:

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
98,115 Posts
Mouth of death

Mouth of death

Description

US GI's inspecting the bunker busting Sturmtiger (assault gun).
Sturmtiger in action:
That was, of course, a Tiger chassis fitted with a 15" (38cm) closed breech (and all burn in the tube, despite its short barrel according to some material I have seen) rocket launcher. The holes visible around the bore were for exhaust gases, and I bet one would have been a sight to behold, especially fired at night. The launcher was derived from a Kriegsmarine ASW depth charge launcher.

·
Administrator
57,927 Posts
Eisenhower in helmet

Eisenhower in helmet

Description

This is the only photo of Ike wearing a helmet in WWII that I have ever seen. The photo caption was, "Alexander, Eisenhower and Patton in Feriana on March 17, 1943. The day that the American attack on Gafsa and El Guettar began.

Recent comments
  • lee r christensen (Wed 22 May 2013 06:22:10 PM EDT)
    Ike is wearing his leggings like a "recruit". What kind of boots does Patton have on>?
  • John Rutledge (Wed 22 May 2013 10:55:20 AM EDT)
    Perhaps Ike thought he needed a helmet to keep up with Patton on this occasion. A thought like that would never have crossed Alexander's mind ... Best regards, JR.

8541 - 8560 of 8964 Posts