Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mostly Austro-Hungarians in Poland ca. 1915. SW

1) "Dear Mom..." Over the years some things never change.
2) Somewhere in Poland, 1915
3) As nearly as I could translate the caption this was taken in Brasso ( Brazzo?) Transylvania - 1918
4) Germans with Mosin-Nagants? Russians with pickelhaubs? Austrians with both?
5) Uhlan, I think. Not sure what country.
6) Playing war with some pretty detailed costunes.
7) Don't know what this warhead is, but it appears bad news.
8) Austrian soldier in Poland promoting good international relations... or something.

**Rats! I had 2 more but they won't upload**

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
93,661 Posts
Does it look as if the flag bearer in No. 6 is missing a leg?

The projectile in No. 7 looks to be some sort of instructional or illustrative cut-away of a shrapnel round, and for a 15 cm or larger it appears to me.

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clyde,

I think the boy's leg is obscured by the sign. With the pickelhaubs, I thought they were Germans, but that sure looks like an Austrian flag. SW

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
93,661 Posts
Looks like an Austrian (or Austro-Hungarian) flag to me, too. My first thought was the leg is hidden, but on further examination, I'm just not sure, but it does look as if my first reaction (and yours) is likely correct.

Can you pick out the sign? I get "Der Junge...", which is "The young", but can't read the noun following, or the second line.

Oh - the guy almost out of the picture on the left end of the line is in a sailor suit, I think.

·
Registered
912 Posts
1st line is "the young General" Second says "Emperor's birthday celebration (or holiday), 27 January 1915" Based on the day, that would be Wilhelm II of Germany (born 27 Jan 1859)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts