Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few I haven't seen before. I found some scans, but believed most were too 'usual' to be included here. SW

1) Looks like PPSh SMGs arranged for strafing. Considering how low & slow you would need to fly for this to be even marginally effective, I doubt many pilots thought it a good idea. Aircraft is an Il-2?
2) Police with C-96s - not sure what PD
3) Somewhere in Burma
4) Must have been early on - note the 1903 Springfield
5) Manual of arms with C-96
6) Hard to tell where this is. Due to the suntan of some of the troops, my guess is North Africa
7) Uncle Adolph with tophat
8) Going to a grenade fight
9) I couldn't get this poster any bigger - good images of different KMS types
10) Max pucker factor on the flight deck

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Caption for #2: "Candygram for Freddy Felon!" ;) SW

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
93,676 Posts
No. 4 looks like a very tropical location - possibly the Solomons in 1942, where the Marines went in with '03s, though they had Garands by the next invasion.

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The practice of Marines using older equipment carried on for years. Among my 782 gear in Viet Nam was a 1943 helmet complete with vintage dent and a 1944 canteen.

At Cam Lo, we had a 1919A4 MG beside the M-60 in our bunker. I really liked the slower cyclic rate and the 30-06 caliber.

My nephew did 2 tours in Afghanistan as a helicopter mechanic & said one of theirs was left over from Viet Nam - and still showed battle damage to hidden areas. SW

·
Registered
912 Posts
#1= TU-2sh

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I see the vertical tail surfaces now. SW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts