Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
10,012 Posts
Bersaglieri, Before or early WW I...Given the Mountainouis terrain, I would say WW I, 1915.

Light Coloured Canvas/drill trousers, with Dark Jacket (Blue) is the Pre-War Uniform from about early 1900s; by 1916, Uniforms were changing to all "GrigioVerde" for all Branches of the Italian Army. ( until exhaustion of pre-war Clothing).

Folding Bicycle is typical Bersaglieri model, and TS rifles (early M91 Model). Leather Ammo Pouches are Black, large VV70/87 type...again, using up old Equipment. ( Four Pouches per soldier.).

Doc AV

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Steve, nice picture. DocAV, I can take no exception to your description and assumption as to time and place, sounds reasonable enough. Whenever you all finally get copies of my book (I spoke w/Schiffer a couple of minutes ago, looks like early May is still a good timeframe for them to get them in the warehouse, and I'll pick up copies and start sending them out as soon after that as I can), the back cover has a photo of Bersaglieri with their folded bicycles on their backs, advancing up a hill on an exercise in 1936... Ralph

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I believe Doc nailed it Steve. Great looking pic. Sometimes I fantasize about what it would be like living at that time or any other historical point. Just for a moment, I then appreciate daily baths, regular-quality food, education and ample time for hobbies. Haha, interesting photo! I'm excited about your book Ralph!
Best, Russ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.