366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Vintage commercial roller ammo...
Printed from: Gunboards
Topic URL: http://old.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=223728
Printed on: 09/11/2007
Topic:
Topic author: Pettson
Subject: Vintage commercial roller ammo...
Posted on: 04/24/2007 3:49:42 PM
Here are two original vintage boxes of commercial centerfire 12,7 mm ammunition from RWS and GECO.
The lower picture shows the GECO cartridges to the right, and also the load info on the GECO box.

Note that the RWS cartridges have Utendoerffer cases, so often found in old obsolete continental cartridges.

Just for show...

Download Attachment:
71.8 KB

Download Attachment:
96.3 KB

Pettson
Replies:
Reply author: gregdownunder
Replied on: 04/25/2007 03:08:54 AM
Thanks Pettson,

Thats around 1250 fps for a 415 grain slug,interesting.
I just today went to the range to try 65 grains(by volume)of triple seven in my 12.17mm sporter.
It was certainly a fairly powerful load,somewhere around 1400 fps I am told.
Accuracy was not too bad,three inches or so at 100 yards.
I wonder what sort of accuracy was expected back in the day?

GDU
Reply author: sbhva
Replied on: 04/26/2007 08:45:07 AM
Pettson;

Don't you need a special permit from the Police to collect ammunition? To be safe, you had better send those cartridges on to me. We wouldn't want you to end up in trouble. My representative will be in Sweden shortly to attend the auction. You can give them to him there.
Reply author: Pettson
Replied on: 05/04/2007 3:10:11 PM
I'll think about it, but I really don't know. They look quite good where they are sitting right now...

Pettson
© 2000-2006 Gunboards

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Vintage cartridge boxes - Some pictures
Topic URL: http://old.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=195237
Topic:
Subject: Vintage cartridge boxes - Some pictures
Posted on: 11/21/2006 06:08:09 AM
I don't know if, as the old timers say, things always were better before, but they were at least more colourful!

Download Attachment:
96.77 KB

Download Attachment:
92.45 KB

Download Attachment:
95.58 KB

Download Attachment:
62.09 KB

Pettson
Replies:
Reply author: poppa smurff
Replied on: 11/21/2006 7:50:30 PM
Beautiful old packaging, I wish the new stuff was as colorful.

Thnk you for sharing these.
Reply author: LeeSpeed
Replied on: 11/22/2006 09:19:04 AM
Pettson:

Thanks for another great post!

Maybe a bit OT {feel free to move it or start a new post if necessary} but where DOES and DID a guy go to get ammo in Sweden?

Here in the USA, ammunition has traditionally been available from a wide variety of sources. Mail order is big time now, but before the 1986 law changes eased interstate purchases of ammo {from 1968-1986 restrictions were placed on interstate sales of ammo}, hardware stores and sporting goods stores were the main purveyors. In the years before WW2, hardware and farm supply stores sold LOTS of ammo, and a guy was pretty much limited in caliber choices by what was available locally. Ammo was bought over the counter with no licensing or other restrictions made in the pre-WW2 era. Now, one must be 18 years of age with proof of it {driver's license, usually} and probably some states have further restrictions than that.

Anyway, in the pre-WW2 days, what was the most common source for ammo for shooters in Sverige? I see that old box of 9,3x57 and I am curious. Sweden is a big country with lots of relatively remote areas, so I'm curious!
© 2000-2006 Gunboards

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flobert

Flobert
Topic URL: http://old.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=171635
Topic:
Subject: Flobert
Posted on: 06/27/2006 03:38:14 AM
If you got one of those neat little rimfire Huskys in a Flobert chambering, here are the cartridges you've been looking for...

Download Attachment:
110.07 KB

From left is a 9 mm Flobert shot, 9 mm Flobert ball, 6 mm Flobert ball, 6 mm Flobert spitzer, 4 mm Lang, and finally the tiny 4 mm practice cartridge for insert barrels. I have one of those for the m/40 pistol. A bit slow to reload perhaps, but fun indoor shooting anyway.

These cartridges, or at least some of them, are still being produced by RWS and maybe also by Fiocchi from time to time. You never really can tell with those italians.

Pettson
Replies:
Reply author: larsluthor
Replied on: 06/27/2006 11:55:49 AM
Pettson
where and how have you found the 6mm Flobert/RWS loadings... I have been looking for the pointed version for years and have not been able to find.... where did you get these from??
and by the way... the ball loading is surprisingly accurate and out of a rifle is quieter than an air rifle!!!!for thoes who are unaware.. these loadings contain no powder.. they are propelled by the primer mix alone.. the ball is exactly that.. a pure round ball.. I have one container left so I use them sparingly...and by the way there is no american manufacturer of an equivalent of these that I can find anywhere...The few RWS and fewer Fiocchi dealers never have these in stock...I ask them to order but they say I would have to buy a minimum order of some hundreds of dollars...IF anyone has containers of these they want to sell.. I will pay $10 bucks per container full!!! plus shipping!
lds
Reply author: Pettson
Replied on: 06/29/2006 07:18:37 AM
Just luck I must admit. Found them in a gun shop under new ownership that was doing a spring cleaning of old and vintage ammo and reloading gear. I spent a couple of hours in there...

Among other things I found a rather large stash of various Floberts. I bought them all...

I also, as per my usual behaviour, browsed through the piles of guns on their way to the scrapper, and secured a couple of interesting items. The most noteworthy might be a 16 gauge model 12 long barreled rolling block shotgun. Well, nothing trange with that really, except that this one was in an excellent+ condition with strong wood, nice bluing and all case colours remaining. It is now mine, pending some more of that red tape.

And it seems that one of the moderators just broke on of the few rules of this forum, regarding thread hi-jacking... Sorry. To redeem myself somewhat, here's a good Flobert link. Not in English unfortunately, but the headstamp pictures with manufacturer information are interesting anyway;
http://www.municion.org/22/flobert.htm

Pettson
Reply author: AseVeli
Replied on: 06/29/2006 07:45:53 AM
Try these for 6mm Flobert ammo:

http://www.iss-internationalshootersservice.com/ammunition.html

http://www.outdoorguides.com/outdoor/normar.htm
Reply author: larsluthor
Replied on: 06/29/2006 12:16:44 PM
ASEVELI

many thanx... I found 4 or 5 different items I had been looking for..perfect rounds!!! have been hunting these down for the last year...thank you... between the two have you ordered from both and they are good dealers?? stuff is in stock and not that they are taking orders for the next shipment due in from Europe on the slow boat?? I have run into that a few times now...again thank you!!! I will be ordering a lot of stuff!!! finally!!
LDS
© 2000-2006 Gunboards

1 - 3 of 3 Posts