Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
9,497 Posts
Anyone use N135for 108 bergers. I'm looking for load data for 6mm br 30" barrel
Any help would be great
The only data for using Vihta Vuori N135 in the Berger manual is for their 105 gr bullets. For N135 it is 25.5 gr - 28.5 gr MAX. You are bucking a head wind with such fast powder in a tight twist barrel at that bullet weight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only data for using Vihta Vuori N135 in the Berger manual is for their 105 gr bullets. For N135 it is 25.5 gr - 28.5 gr MAX. You are bucking a head wind with such fast powder in a tight twist barrel at that bullet weight.
I was only asking because of trying to find powder that will work for me. Finding n140 or n540 and varget isn’t easy, and I can’t afford gunbrokers prices.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,497 Posts
You did not specify if you are shooting 6 mm BR Norma or Remington. The data I provided is in the 6 mm BR Remington section. Also, all of the data in both the Norma and Remington chapters is for a 24" barrel. Your 30" barrel wants a slower burning powder.

Just my opinion: it is probably safe to use the 106 gr bullet data if you are shooting the 6 mm BR Remington, but don't expect the usual Berger grouping.

We are all in a similar situation: having to make do with the powder and bullets we happen to have on hand

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You did not specify if you are shooting 6 mm BR Norma or Remington. The data I provided is in the 6 mm BR Remington section. Also, all of the data in both the Norma and Remington chapters is for a 24" barrel. Your 30" barrel wants a slower burning powder.

Just my opinion: it is probably safe to use the 106 gr bullet data if you are shooting the 6 mm BR Remington, but don't expect the usual Berger grouping.

We are all in a similar situation: having to make do with the powder and bullets we happen to have on hand
I have the norna version, but thank you for the info, it really helps

·
Gold Bullet member
9,497 Posts
I have the norna version, but thank you for the info, it really helps
I do not shoot 6 mm; the closest I come is 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser in both the M96 - 1 in 8" twist - and the more modern CZ550 - 1 in 9" twist. I also shoot and reload 6.5 Creedmoor.

From my experience a long barrel with a fast twist rate prefers a slow powder. For the Swedes and CZ550 Rel 22 and Vihta Vuori N165 are my preferences. But that said, the Swedish Mauser has an open mind regarding powder burn rates and reportedly does well with faster powders. In this regard it is simply not a fussy round to reload, although tight groups favor slower powders. BTW the Berger 140 gr VLD Target is my choice for the 6.5x55 load.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,497 Posts
I do not shoot 6 mm; the closest I come is 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser in both the M96 - 1 in 8" twist - and the more modern CZ550 - 1 in 9" twist. I also shoot and reload 6.5 Creedmoor.

From my experience a long barrel with a fast twist rate prefers a slow powder. For the Swedes and CZ550 Rel 22 and Vihta Vuori N165 are my preferences. But that said, the Swedish Mauser has an open mind regarding powder burn rates and reportedly does well with faster powders. In this regard it is simply not a fussy round to reload, although tight groups favor slower powders. BTW the Berger 140 gr VLD Target is my choice for the 6.5x55 load.
Correction to my post #4 above: The Berger manual for 6 mm BR Norma - 105 gr bullets including VLD Target - lists a charge using Vihta Vuori N135: 25.5 gr ~ 28.5 gr MAX.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.