Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the New Boards are up and running very nicely thought I would repost this.

Spent a little over a year in-country 9 months on the Mekong River with the 1097th Med Boat Co. the rest of the tour in Saigon at HHC USA Camp Davies working for the Base Commander.(Nice Job) On the river I operated a LCM 8 pulling a BK Barge with twin 105s our job was to support the ground troops in case they ran into un-expected problems and the big guns from our base camp couldn't reach. I scanned a few photos of the waterway.

1. Fire Control Complex plus Helicopter Barge.
2. Had to set two 100lb Danforth Anchors to keep the complex on shore.(me on left)
3. One of the many villages along the waterway.
4. Very hard to see if someone is ready to take a popshot at you.
5. Complex moving to another location.
6. Navy Alpha Boat-ran interference for us.
7. Navy Swift Boat(sure could rain on your parade).
8. Kids seemed to know where we were going before we did.
9. Cobra with a main rotor drive problem. Had to be air lifted with a flying crane.
10. A news photographer was on board taking scenic pics of the waterway when we got hit. I just finished putting a field dressing on the raido operaters leg when another RPG came very close.
11. What the boats looked like setting the barges for a fire mission.
12. This needs no explanation very popular spot on mondays after eating SOS on the Mess Boat and taking the Malaria pill.

Thanks for looking.
Regards
Art

·
Registered
181 Posts
Great history

I was an FO for a company in the 9th Division in 1970 in the Delta. By 1970 the boat towed 105's weren't used as much. The last on the water in the delta was a three gun battery from the 2/4th artillery.

Here's a photo of me in another life time on the deck of an Alpha boat waiting for a place to be inserted into the nipa with an element of the 6/31st, 9th Division.

·
Silver Bullet member
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was an FO for a company in the 9th Division in 1970 in the Delta. By 1970 the boat towed 105's weren't used as much. The last on the water in the delta was a three gun battery from the 2/4th artillery.

Here's a photo of me in another life time on the deck of an Alpha boat waiting for a place to be inserted into the nipa with an element of the 6/31st, 9th Division.
I think the boat co was deactivated in Sept of 69. I was supposed to be reassinged to a Heavy Boat co (LCU) up river but finished up my tour in Saigon with a desk job. Nice pic on the Alpha Boat. The Alpha and Tango boats from the Navy sure saved our @$$ a few times . Got to fire the 20mm on the Alpha that was fun. Where was base camp for you as I was out of Dong Tam?

Regards
Art

·
Registered
490 Posts
Awesome pics!!

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Riveraider68

I was with the 6/31st at Can Giouc and Ben Luc. Big Navy base at Ben Luc. Guys had a real base with A/C units in the windows even. LOL. Loved the Navy chow the only time I had any. We were at a small base at a place called Tra Cu. They served lobster for chow to us dog face soldiers... LOL Think they were just showing off some.

The 6/31st was at Dong Tam about the time you were....but I didn't join them until they were at Can Giouc.

I'm attaching a picture of a Tango boat. We worked off of them with wth Navy some.

·
Silver Bullet member
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mariko, Farmall, Simson lugers and drive1tom--- Tnx for the nice comments.

Niner---I googled Ben Luc as I wasn't sure where it was located. Looks like it was west of Saigon and a little NW of where I was stationed. They had some interesting pics of the base. Haven't run into to many guys on line that were around the Delta seems most were up north. Nice pic of the Tango Boat. They use to bring in our security guard for our front when we were beached at night. They said it was there R&R from being out in the boonies for a week at a time.

Regards
Art

·
Silver Bullet member
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ben Luc was on the Song Vam Co Dong. Little south and west of Saigon.

Art, you do know about the Mobile Riverine Force Association, don't you? If not....check out this site. http://www.mrfa.org/
How I could have missed that site I don't know new abt the Brown Water Navy Site and a few others but totaly missed that one. Tnx very much for the link.

Regards
Art

·
Registered
320 Posts
Art,

When the 105 barges were setup for fire missions, what kind of security did you have deployed on the bank? Did you bother with any security on the opposite bank or just depend upon gunboats/attack helos?

Just wondering. Thanks for both the pics & your service to the nation!

Kim

·
Silver Bullet member
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Art,

When the 105 barges were setup for fire missions, what kind of security did you have deployed on the bank? Did you bother with any security on the opposite bank or just depend upon gunboats/attack helos?

Just wondering. Thanks for both the pics & your service to the nation!

Kim
Kim,

Security was provided both bow and stern. In the front were reg army off duty from there week in the boonies, they thought of it as R&R. The Navy Alpha and Tango boats patroled our stern after sunset, we also posted guards every 3 hrs after sunset both bow and stern. Charlie liked to attach satchel charges to the boats so we usually tossed a few concussion grenades in the water from time to time. Brought them to the surface pretty fast. The opposite shore line had a security force just in case if the waterway was narrow. We usually received some mortor and small arms fire at night. When on the move up and down the canals the gunships and Cobras would help in the air. Agn Charlie would try to disable the front boat and the last with RPGs. The 105s would fire beehive rounds at the shoreline(wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of those) also the air support would come in over our port or starboard sides and fire the 2.5 in rockets or miniguns then you would have to dodge the spent rounds that would sometimes bounce off your helmet or get behind your flak jacket while still a little warm.

Regards
Art

1 - 14 of 14 Posts