Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Vietnam Veterans here on the boards? My dad is a Vietnam Veteran and I'm am a very proud son, I love to hear his stories about it, he was over there from '66-'67. I love and respect my father very much for his service (and that he's my dad of course). If anybody here was over there I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.......;)

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Should be plenty of Viet Vets here.

I was there myself...same time as your Dad, 1966 to 1967. I knew my number would be pulled when I lost my Student defferment so I went to the draft board and asked them to pick my # and get it over with. Nice lady said I would be hearing from them in 30days or so.

Two days later My notice to report arrived.....Seven days latter I was in the US ARMY!

I guess they thought I was in a Hurry to get to SE Asia....NOT!

I respect your Dad for his Service too. This would be a better Nation if all did their part and served their Country in some way.

Tell your Dad, thanks for me and "welcome home" to all my fellow Vietnam Vets!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was there myself...same time as your Dad, 1966 to 1967. I knew my number would be pulled when I lost my Student defferment so I went to the draft board and asked them to pick my # and get it over with. Nice lady said I would be hearing from them in 30days or so.

Two days later My notice to report arrived.....Seven days latter I was in the US ARMY!

I guess they thought I was in a Hurry to get to SE Asia....NOT!

I respect your Dad for his Service too. This would be a better Nation if all did their part and served their Country in some way.

Tell your Dad, thanks for me and "welcome home" to all my fellow Vietnam Vets!
What part of the country were you in?

·
Silver Bullet member
872 Posts
Did my time Dec of 68 - 69 in the Delta mostly on the waterways pulling barges with twin 105s on them for infantry fire support. Its good to hear that you take an intrest in your fathers service...........and from me tell him Tnx and Welcome home.

Regards
Art

·
PlatinumBullet Member
18,949 Posts
RVN in1970 with Company C, 577th, 18th Engr. Served with the 1st Armored Division in Ft. Hood after AIT in FT. Polk and FT.Sill at the Artillery school there. 1049'd for Nam in early 1970 and went there in March of 70' thinking I would go to an armored unit but was sent to an engineer unit instead because of my wheel and track vehicle mechanic MOS. Don't regret it as I was in a lot of action and with a great group of guys.
Was in a bar about ten years ago when a few young guys noticed me. I usually wear my Vietnam Veteran hat. These guys were in their early 20's and when they noticed the hat they asked me if they could buy me a beer. Well of course I'm not going to turn down a free beer but asked them why. They said because you're a Nam Vet. I replied, didn't even think you young guys thought about that. They replied, more of us than you know do. It touched me and I am sure they are serving now as they all stated they were going into different branches of the service. Will never see them again but I hope the best for all of them.
Glad you have the respect for your dad and give him mine also. And to all Nam Vets I raise a glass. Especially to those that no longer walk with us.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,606 Posts
8/68-8/69. First half of the tour as S2/S3 of the 185th Maint Bn, last part as CO of F Co, Troop Command, USA Depot, Long Binh.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the history,you guys are great! I am very close to my dad,we always have been,he's been in the hospital since thanksgiving due to open heart surgery (had a few complications along the way) he spent Christmas in there as well, the only gift I wanted was for his well being and recovery. He's doing well and might be home soon.:eek: I think a lot more of this younger generation should respect thier elders/vets of any war, living or dead.....it's because of you men we can live in a free country and enjoy life! Regaurdless if we believe in a war effort or not the vets need our support........ALWAYS! Thank you vets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

David.

·
Copper Bullet member
88 Posts
Vietnam Service

I was there in 67-68 on CVA43 - Coral Sea (Aircraft Carrier) and 68-69 on CVA61 - Ranger (Aircraft Carrier). I was in the Gulf of Tonkin on both tours and worked on the flight deck launching A-4 Skyhawks and belonged to Attack Squadron 155 (VA155). Not inland but had some pretty hairy times on the flight deck launching strikes into Vietnam.
:)

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,643 Posts
Takes 7-10 REMF's to keep 1 man in the field...........so be careful of the term REMF.............more aptly applied to "field clerks" at the 222.............who claim to have "combat experience"...........:D

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
5SFG(A) Nha Trang 69 - 70. B55 Mike Force 70. Got to hump the boonies in central II & west central IV Corps.
Sarge

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'd like to give a big "thank you!" to all you guys for your service, and a sincere welcome home!

I was too young (i'm 48) but I grew up watching the news of the war, and of course all the protests over here. I hate protesters and 'activists"to this day......

·
100,606 Posts
I'd like to give a big "thank you!" to all you guys for your service, and a sincere welcome home!

I was too young (i'm 48) but I grew up watching the news of the war, and of course all the protests over here. I hate protesters and 'activists"to this day......
Can't say I hate them as a group (certain individuals are different), but if you replaced "hate" with "despise", that would work.

·
PlatinumBullet Member
18,949 Posts

Some of them had their own agenda and was in some ways right in their cause. It was a civil war that we should have never gotten involved in. And all that we did, did nothing to change the outcome except cost this nation over 58,000 lives of some of the youngest of that generation because of the protest that was here and had a big effect on the outcome of the war and our involvement. I respect some of the protesters for the cause they were against but hate so many of them that were just cowards and used the cause for their own means to escape military service. I voluntered for the Army at age 17 in 69' and 1049'nd for the Nam when 18 in 70'. No regrets.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well said Armyrat1970. I don't hate protesters. I helped load a guy on a dustoff once that came back to the world and joined the Vietnam Veterans against the war and was there in Washington with Kerry and the guy they made the movie about in Born on the 4th of July. Not something I would have done, but he earned the right. At the same time, I still feel those that went to Canada to avoid taking their chances with the guys who did die in that war are not anybody I admire.

America doesn't care about military service when electing presidents. As you remember, Jimmy Carter as his first act as president forgave draft dodgers and deserters for running away. Then in later years we had Clinton who hid out in England during the Vietnam conflict elected as president and even our now departing president hid out in the Air National Guard in Alabama during the conflict..probably with a little help from his dad, a former president too.

·
100,606 Posts
Well said Armyrat1970. I don't hate protesters. I helped load a guy on a dustoff once that came back to the world and joined the Vietnam Veterans against the war and was there in Washington with Kerry and the guy they made the movie about in Born on the 4th of July. Not something I would have done, but he earned the right. At the same time, I still feel those that went to Canada to avoid taking their changes with the guys who did die in that war are not anybody I admire.

America doesn't care about military service when electing presidents. As you remember, Jimmy Carter as his first act as president forgave draft dodgers and deserters for running away. Then in later years we had Clinton who hid out in England during the Vietnam conflict elected as president and even our now departing president hid out in the Air National Guard in Alabama during the conflict..probably with a little help from his dad, a former president too.
GWB didn't, exactly, hide out in Georgia. Most of his Air Scout time was in Texas, flying Dueces out of Ellington - and his father wasn't president then. That came MUCH later.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.