Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MakDragon
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
142 Posts
Posted - 02/06/2004 : 01:55:26 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was watching the final episode of "Band of Brothers" the other night and was watching as some soldiers were taking Lugers home. This got me to thinking, does anyone know if our guys brought Maks back from Korea or Vietnam? Or was this something stopped by our government by that time?
P.S. I was too young for Vietnam, but thank you to ALL the vets out there. After watching Band of Brothers, I am further moved by the sacrifice you guys made. My hat's off again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Success is not a result of spontaneous combustion. You must light yourself on fire!

CW
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
2370 Posts
Posted - 02/06/2004 : 02:20:27 AM

Several Maks were brought back from Vietnam. I believe Dennis Kroh still has one of two that he picked up over there.
I have one that came purportedly came from there, and it looks it too!
I think all Maks from Vietnam are either Soviet or Chinese. I have yet to see or hear of an East German Mak from there. Ones with capture papers command a high price.
The Mak didn't make it to Korea, and was never adopted by the North, as far as I know.

On a side note, a friend told me how his uncle brought back a Luger from WWII only to end up taking it with him to Korea where he did not return.

ij70
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
7025 Posts
Posted - 02/06/2004 : 04:13:25 AM

I do not think Soviets sent any PM in Korea. Soviets held back their latest inventions, there are a lot of examples of that. At the time of Korean War, PM would have been in production only for a couple of years in USSR. Chinease simply did not have access to PM for the same reason, so they did not make them and could not send any.

ScottB
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
557 Posts
Posted - 02/06/2004 : 05:25:18 AM

Have found both Russian and Chinese Maks with VN paper. Several unmarked E Germans with VN story(credible), but no paper.
ij70 is right. Too early in production to find any from Korea.

TENNESSEEAN

USA
1162 Posts
Posted - 02/06/2004 : 06:53:49 AM

I've heard of Russians with papers and seen a chinese with papers (not for sale though) and have been told of a couple of EG's that came back but never seen one. I'm still tracking one that came back from Germany, one of these days maybe.

TN
Appalachain American

MakDragon
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
142 Posts
Posted - 02/06/2004 : 10:40:43 AM

Looks like I have another new project to add to my collection! Thanks Guys!

Success is not a result of spontaneous combustion. You must light yourself on fire!

·
Gold Bullet member+
334 Posts
Never saw any Makarovs. A Vietnamese Regional Forces Major I worked with carried a captured TT-33. Shermysan

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I've got both a a chicom TT 33 and a ruskie Mak - with bring back papers. I brought the Mak back and picked the TT 33 up about 7 or 8 yrs later to go with my mint very late chicom SKS.
I didn't get the Mak holster/spare mag, unfortunately because the mag in the pistol was a rust pitted mismatch. Oh well! At least the pistol is near mint.
Here is the Mak.
Sarge

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have 5 bringback Mak's (always looking for more, hint Sarge if you ever do decide to sell!). The Chicom is a favorite (I've posted it here before), the Russian rig I also really like. The others are just the pistols, no holsters.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Sorry but my ruskie will be mine till I've been in the ground 60 days or so and I intend to be around for another 20+ years!!! :D
You have papers for all of yours?
Sarge

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Sorry but my ruskie will be mine till I've been in the ground 60 days or so and I intend to be around for another 20+ years!!! :D
You have papers for all of yours?
Sarge
Sarge, I hope you're around for another 30 years - I'll be right there with ya!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Well, I can always hope, but another 30 would exceed my wildest expections.
Oh well, one never knows what the future will bring. I'll just try to stay out from infront of moving trucks and stay alert for irate husbands. :D

You didn't say, you got trophy papers fopr all 5 of your pistols? Do you have Both types of papers?
Sarge

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I've got trophy papers on 2 and letters on 2. I had another really nice one with papers I sold when I was getting a divorce (ChiCom). I also had one I got from a major dealer in Chicago area with bogus papers; I returned it to him - he kept it and didn't refund my money. So much for a "lifetime guarantee of authenticity" he offers. He sold a bunch of other items that way too.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Can't you go after him for fraud? If he is a dealer, file a complaint with the atf crowd! Tell everyone his name so they can stay away from him!

Are you aware that there are 2 different bring back trophy papers with each & every bring back? I've seen them with 65 dates & up.
Sarge

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Can't you go after him for fraud? If he is a dealer, file a complaint with the atf crowd! Tell everyone his name so they can stay away from him!

Are you aware that there are 2 different bring back trophy papers with each & every bring back? I've seen them with 65 dates & up.
Sarge
I posted about him earlier in the Forums. He is a good guy gone bad - now buying recent imports and selling them as bringbacks, but wording the descriptions just right. Email me and I'll gladly tell you his name - I'm at [email protected]

I have a large number of bringback weapons of all types and have several of the various iterations of paperwork. Some actually have 51 form dates on the bottom. Some are theater made, mostly used by special forces. There is one I have never seen faked - I'm sure you know which that one is! And I have a couple with 5 or 6 pieces of paperwork.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts