Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my local shop has this rifle. Supposedly they bought it from the vet who brought it back and he is suppose to be bringing the papers to go with it. I am curious to hear people's opinions here. Has the stock been messed with? How much does the action cover being mismatch hurt the value? The asking price right now is $800 but I have not yet seen the paper work. Thanks in advance for any help and opinions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
That will be a killer price if the paperwork is good. Take really good photos of it when he brings it by. There are a huge amount of fake Vietnam era papers out there. Some really good, some really bad. Earlier this year there was a large auction that had dozens of examples of suspicious papers being sold.

·
Silver Bullet Member
sks, tokarev, makarov, combloc
2,187 Posts
Great price if good paper
But I am not one who says you
Have to have papers or it’s not a bring back
So
Check very carefully like under the bayonet on the barrel for import marks otherwise
It is the right arsenal and right serial number range
Mismatch is not unusual for bring backs
Mixed up in cleaning by VC or ?
Without paper can be a great buy but at 800 fair to negotiate
Looks like it has the right patina etc
Good
Luck
And papers need an experienced collector to review as
Fakes are out there
P.s.
Now that I see your name just call me when you get the papers

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Even without papers, the rifle hits all of the traits you want to see in a bringback and none that would call the claim into question:

-Correct arsenal
-Correct serial number/ production year range
-NO import stamp
-Overall wear/finish-- including the mismatched cover with the same overall finish.
-Blued bolt and carrier

The wear on the sling doesn't appear to match the the rest of the rifle, so it may be a replacement. Not really an issue, as i see it.

IMHO, w/o papers $800 is a fair price for a gun bearing all of the above indicators of VN provenance. And with legit papers, as stated above, you're looking at one heckuva deal.

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
20,053 Posts
If the gun doesn't have an import mark, it has all the hallmarks of a bringback. If you like it, buy it. The price is good, with or without the papers.

Stock has been cleaned with raw linseed oil - maybe a little too much. But it hasn't been sanded.

·
20,053 Posts
We have seen blue carriers on guns in this production year, but all are imported from the middle east.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The rifle looks good and checks the boxes. The sling looks to be of a later type with the binder spiral attachment. Have those been encountered on other vintage bring backs?

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Thank guys. I am a little bummed that the stock has something one it. That probably bugs me more then anything. I'll see about the paper
I agree that the oil finish looks fairly overdone.

However, I seem to recall that 9th year of production (same year as the OP rifle) is when the Chinese started using linseed or some other type oil finish on the Type56 stocks.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,908 Posts
1. If the papers are authentic, I wouldn’t hesitate at $800. SKSs with a good DD603 bring north of 2K these days.

2. If the papers don’t check out I’d become wary. If someone went to the trouble of faking papers, they may have acquired one of the few early Century imports “CAI ST A VT”-era that had the import mark on the receiver cover and the paper-kiter also swapped out the receiver cover, as I see it’s mismatched.

Hopefully, it turns out to be option 1.

·
20,053 Posts
I agree that the oil finish looks fairly overdone.

However, I seem to recall that 9th year of production (same year as the OP rifle) is when the Chinese started using linseed or some other type oil finish on the Type56 stocks.
True. This oil finish is not incorrect. It is just a little overdone. Think of it this way. A GI was trained, almost from the time he was a baby, to apply a coat of raw linseed oil each year to a stock. So, if this was done by the GI, it is part of the history or the gun.

Here is an original oil finish to compare. You can just take a rough cloth and knock down the shine and it will be OK.

So, This Chinese SKS has an Oil Finish Stock

1 - 20 of 22 Posts