Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen examples of the homemade Vietcong rifles from the early to mid 1960's? I can recall a documentary with images of a few captured homemade Vietcong rifles. Are any on display someplace?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Plenty of homemade pistol - includeing .45 clones. Seen several home made shotguns, and a few rifles.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Has anyone seen examples of the homemade Vietcong rifles from the early to mid 1960's? I can recall a documentary with images of a few captured homemade Vietcong rifles. Are any on display someplace?
There's a dealer in Indianapolis that has one on disply. Only one I've ever seen and a wierd combination it is.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
There was a thread about a year ago where someone had a shotgun made for firing 20mm cases and meant to outwardly look like a BAR, as well as some other neat examples. Don't remember who it was, though. Nevermind the nifty stuff imported from everywhere and scrounged from everywhere else, there was plenty of nifty stuff made right there.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I've got a bringback jungle made shotgun and a couple of pistols, all with docs. I sold off a jungle made copy of a MAS to another Gunboards member a few years ago, as well as several pistols to other people, all victims of my divorce at that time. There was a guy, initials GG, who when I was just starting to collect VN bringback items, that was selling off his whole collection of jungle made weapons, and it was extensive. There were some truly awesome pieces in his collection, models of BAR's and 1903's and M1 carbines, etc. I can't find a photo of my shotgun, but below I posted a photo of the .45, captured by a 101st Abn vet, and what I call a conglomerate, which has parts of several weapons made into one. (I posted these before, a couple of years ago)

In the link below to another forum one of the posters mentions firing a jungle made piece. I can't imagine anyone being this nuts! These things would be so scarey to fire!! I enjoy having all my appendages, so I would never fire one.

Attachments

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,841 Posts
That 'conglomerate' is part (front) SVT!!!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Very nice Badash5946!
I would like to see your collection of VN bringback firearms!!!

I want to see more!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Best regards from Italy!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
That 'conglomerate' is part (front) SVT!!!
Yeah, it's really a neat piece. The guy I got it from was crazy enough to fire it - once. He said that a muzzle blast was tremendous and it scared hime so much he'd never do it again.

The neatest jungle made piece I ever saw was a SMG I saw in a collection about 10 years ago.

Texraid - any photos of the rifle that you saw in Indianapolis?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
512 Posts
Yeah, it's really a neat piece. The guy I got it from was crazy enough to fire it - once. He said that a muzzle blast was tremendous and it scared hime so much he'd never do it again.

Taking a closer look at the "composite", it looks like a complete SVT action that has had the barrell shortened (which would be easy to do).

Is still in 7.62x54r caliber?

The mag looks very odd. Any idea what it was from orignally?

Given that the SVT has a pretty ferocious muzzle blast to begin with, shortening the barrel by at least 6" is just going to make it much worse and the brake spreads it out to the sides...

tim

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Ok, I went and dragged it out of the safe - it's been awhile. The receiver is from a SVT - 194? - the last digit is hard to read. The receiver housing is aluminum and is fitted into the side rails. The magazine is from a Bren gun and the stock is supposedly from a Sten. The magazine pouch is also from a Bren. It came back with a tunnel rat and was written about in a 1971 book on jungle made weapons.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,438 Posts
Ok, I went and dragged it out of the safe - it's been awhile. The receiver is from a SVT - 194? - the last digit is hard to read. The receiver housing is aluminum and is fitted into the side rails. The magazine is from a Bren gun and the stock is supposedly from a Sten. The magazine pouch is also from a Bren. It came back with a tunnel rat and was written about in a 1971 book on jungle made weapons.
Nice M., very nice! You did eventually find a copy of Truby's "Improvised Weapons" book I told you about, right?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Nice M., very nice! You did eventually find a copy of Truby's "Improvised Weapons" book I told you about, right?
Yeah, you were the one who steered me in the right direction and I now have a well-thumbed copy. That was definitely in the pre-Gunboards days - 1994. Good to hear from you, and I hope the collecting is going well.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
reminds me of when i was a kid i used to go to the navy muesem in dc.. they had a case with some of these displayed..at the time i just thought how crude they were ..never thought how much ingenuity went into the making of such things,thanks for the great pics guys

1 - 17 of 17 Posts