Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Dont remember enough German from high school to know what is being said, but I do see Mosins being used at 3:22 mark. Also a DP pan fed type MG. German support troops, allied forces - Finns?, or Russian fighting for Germany?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Some of it is captured Soviet footage... I'm not sure about the DP gunner, but in addition to the white camouflage smock, his white-washed steel helmet looks Soviet to me? Then there is the artillery where the guy is wearing the SSh-36 helmet...

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Finns with M91's (24's) outfitted as Finns would be, at the 3:22, but I agree with Davecarlson about that artillery guy, being full on Soviet and all, and the DP guy a "maybe", Finns did use captures Russian gear alot.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thank you for an interesting video.
The best thing to do is ask a German language expert what the commentator is talking about.
In the video frames, you can really see Soviet soldiers (DP machine gun and SSh-36 helmet). But perhaps this is footage of Soviet newsreels that were inserted later to show the confrontation of the troops. Soviet troops often went over to the side of the Wehrmacht, but military units from them began to form only at the end of 1942. And the video of 1941 ... So, either the film describes the later events of the German army, or it is video editing. And these are very interesting and rare footage.

Mosin-Nagant rifle:

SVT-40 rifle:

DP-27 MG:

SSh-36 helmet:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can speak German. The front crawl states that some of the film is from captured enemy film. As for the commentary, I’m afraid that the narrator unfortunately doesn’t offer much more detail or clues about the source or specific circumstances of each original film piece. He is more so narrating a general attack on the eastern front, using pieced together sections of film from the Propaganda Kompanien and some enemy film, which may be from a mix of times and places. They are going through the steps of setting up and firing the artillery at the enemy position, moving MGs into position, and then the infantry advancing toward the objective. (This is where we see the men with mosins that kind of look like they might be Finns to me, but it’s uncertain.) At this point the narrator also recommends forming a Schützenreihe (File in English I guess?) when advancing over wider distances to navigate the terrain. Where we see the DP guy firing from right to left, and then the Ssh-36 wearing soldier, they are depicted/described correctly as the enemy from their perspective, and the importance of quickly taking cover is stressed. After all this, the signal is given for the tanks to advance and the video ends shortly thereafter.

I skipped over some details and things that the narrator said when going through this, as a full translation doesn’t seem necessary, but this should give a general idea of what is being communicated. Very interesting film and if any other questions I’d be happy to clarify. Likewise if I missed anything feel free to point that out or correct as I went through it rather quickly.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I think the gasmask on his backside says the artillery guy is a Soviet, IMHO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts