Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a can marked Paraffin I believe " Paraffin means Kerosene and these cans were used to collect water for the Vickers gun. I also have the hose and connector that attaches to the Vickers machinegun. I have tied the hose on my Vickers and it does attach. I am thinking about selling these two items but I want to know if they are correct for the Vickers and if anyone has an idea of a reasonable price for these.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
There are civilian and Military Cans which will be suitably marked. During WW1 they probably used whatever was to hand but by WW2 I would only expect to see military cans. Civilian cans are normally date stamped on the bottom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I took a closer look at the bottom of the can and it was marked "Valor (8or6) J"
I have one private message asking about selling but I made and offer to CaptMax yesterday so I will wait until tomorrow to see if he is interested.
Thanks Again,

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
I took a closer look at the bottom of the can and it was marked "Valor (8or6) J"
I have one private message asking about selling but I made and offer to CaptMax yesterday so I will wait until tomorrow to see if he is interested.
Thanks Again,
tsprehe, Not sure where your offer went but I never received it. Please PM me again if you would, I am interested.
CaptMax

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have a civilian Shell Aviation Spirit can that is Green and marked up to the Home Guard. I dug it out of a dump from a well known British base. It's not in the best condition as you'd expect for something that was buried 60 to 70 years ago but the with the markings it has, I couldn't throw it away (It may have been used with the Browning 1917 of course).

·
Registered
101 Posts
they used petrol tins when the vickers cans were not available. its the same thing. The spout is used to fill the water jacket or a gas tank
There was no "proprietary original" Vickers water chest, they were most always "Petrol" cans. Some were painted "water" but even that was not always true. Here is a British marked can when I picked it up, it has since been repainted correctly. The Browning 1917a1's used a totally different can of which they made two or three types.
CaptMax

·
Registered
994 Posts
There was no "proprietary original" Vickers water chest, they were most always "Petrol" cans. Some were painted "water" but even that was not always true. Here is a British marked can when I picked it up, it has since been repainted correctly. The Browning 1917a1's used a totally different can of which they made two or three types.
CaptMax

I also picked up 6 of the Borwning water chests from the same dump, all except one were missing the brass plugs unfortunately. I have one cleaned up ready for a paint at the moment. The 1917 in British use was used with either the water chest or the Spirit cans.

As John has said, there were correct Vickers cans and these had no proprietary markings, they just had 'Water Only' embossed on the top (Not the painted type). Only when it was entered into the LOC did it become acceptable to use the Spirit Can (Although they were used prior to this) from Stores Catalogue LV6 which is one of the Vehicle catalogues.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Brit plumber, I sure wish I had a dump near me like that one you found. I searched long and hard to find my 1917 Browning water chest, and even harder to find this can for my Vickers. These are not easy to find. Thank-you for that information, I was not aware of all that. I have seen far more "petrol" cans than any, it would be nice to see some of those you speak of. You didn't happen to find a Maxim water can in there did you?
CaptMax

·
Registered
994 Posts
There was some amazing stuff came out of the dump, most of it was in relic condition but some of it was quite good. The first type water chests and ammo boxes (BESA and T4 .30 cal) had been stacked up so only the outer boxes had rotted. There were also Boys AT rifle mags, German MG13 mags, PIAT parts, Bren parts, Lots of Martini and Lee Enfield parts, STEN Mk1 to 5 parts and tons of the brass components of the fabric belts for the Vickers and 1917/1919.

Is the Maxim water chest the one that looks like a ammo box with a handle and spout on the top?

·
Registered
101 Posts
This is the sort of thing we were pulling out. These photos are from another guy who dug these out after our 3rd visit. The items that came out on the first 2 digs were in much better condition.

View attachment 776091 View attachment 776092 View attachment 776093 View attachment 776094
Those are awesome relics, would be a shame to let them be wasted. Makes for a neat collection just as they are.
I have a friend in NY state that had access to a naval scrap yard back in the 70's-80's, you wouldn't believe what they used to throw away.
He took advantage of it while it lasted, who could blame him.
Thanks for posting those pictures, they are great!
CaptMax

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.